Quickie

gurvey

Has anyone EVER heard of a Quickie? I have a pre 1925 photograph from Des Moines Iowa of a spoke-wheeled convertible with only one visible marking. On the grill there is no emblem but under a "microscope" I swear that in script lettering it says "QUICKIE". I have poured over books, articles and under just about every rock to correctly identify this car. Any information would be appreciated. I can have a scan shortly if no one recognizes the name.

Thanks.

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942, there were ten cars that started with the letter "Q". The closest to that name was a Quick, built in Paterson and Newark, NJ in 1899-1900. It is doubtful that is what you have a picture of.

If you could post a picture that would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

According to <span style="font-style: italic">The American Car Since 1775</span>:

There was also a very small manufacturer of electric cars in 1899 in Newark, NJ called <span style="font-style: italic">Quinby</span>. Also a company was organized in 1906 in Quincy, IL to manufacture a <span style="font-style: italic">Quincy</span> automobile.

Are you sure it doesn't read "Buick"?

• 5 months later...

Pictures are posted. I am pretty sure it is not electric. I would love to think it said BUICK. But I can't find a year or model that matches it. Here are my issues: 1) I haven't seen an older Buick with an engine mounted emblem. 2) "BUICK" usually had their name HUGE across the grill and I think it would have been big enough to see in this photo-maybe it is hidden by the headlight. 3) the double scallopped fenders don't match anything I have seen; 4) early door hinges I have seen were like pins and barrels -- these look like straps.

And I could swear it looks like there is an IE on the end of the emblem name.

Thoughts?

Andrew Gurvey

1965 t-5 convertible

post-44790-143137885502_thumb.jpg

Pictures are posted. I would love to think it said BUICK. But I can't find a year or model that matches it. Here are my issues: 1) I haven't seen an older Buick with an engine mounted emblem. 2) "BUICK" usually had their name HUGE across the grill and I think it would have been big enough to see in this photo-maybe it is hidden by the headlight. 3) the double scallopped fenders don't match anything I have seen; 4) early door hinges I have seen were like pins and barrels -- these look like straps.

And I could swear it looks like there is an IE on the end of the emblem name.

Thoughts?

Andrew Gurvey

1965 t-5 convertible

post-44790-143137885505_thumb.jpg