History Of Promo Car Models?

Joe_Materasso

Interesting that this post came up today.  I was actually working on my Promo car model.  My wife purchased the Monterey Promo car off of Ebay about a year ago and I decided to change it up to look like the Meteor that I have.  I matched the color and painted the interior the same as my car.  Had to re work the body trim and do a few other changes, but came out pretty good.  It's not even close to the degree of Roger's models, but to put on a shelf to collect dust it should be just fine. :)

IMG_3887.thumb.JPG.5d4ff853cdff3df19500ba25d3701684.JPGIMG_3888.thumb.JPG.4f2c388adba2d436694da3f6880b6b8f.JPGIMG_3889.thumb.JPG.45d60aa1f3dec48c6e886efab6abbc27.JPGIMG_3890.thumb.JPG.02d33be621438270cba04fe675c4119b.JPG

• Like 1

I currently have 202 dealer promos on display. I still have the first promos that my father got for me in the mid and late 1950's.

Since I can't have all the full size cars I want, I had to resort to collecting 1/25 scale models and promos, with a total of 574 on

display in show cases.

Edited by Tom99 (see edit history)

What a nostalgia trip it's been reading thru these posts!   Like many others, I started by building models with friends back in the early 60s.  My cousin in Detroit dated a girl who worked at AMT and we always got plenty of extra parts by the bag-full to customize the kits.  I eventually gravitated to the muscle cars and must have built those GTOs every way possible, from stock to drag cars. 

Terry

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

In the early 1960s Ford was giving away promo cars at the local dealerships as shown by this postcard I found recently.  It was hoped you would buy the real thing too after getting the free promo.

Terry

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG