REO Speedo

baja

Hi, New here, but it looks like a great place.

I'm mostly into Willy's Jeep vehicles and Full Size Jeeps.

But anyway, I cleaned out an old garage several years ago that had been built in the mid 20's and used as a private garage and also a repair shop up until the early 70's, then it was left to sit. It was full of all sorts of treasures, most of which I cannot identify.

Here's the first one. A REO Speedometer.

FRONT-GOOD.jpg

FRONT-ODO-UP-CLEAN.jpg

EDGE-1.jpg

BACK-EXCELLENT.jpg

any ideas on year or if it's car or truck?

thank you,

baja

Guest De Soto Frank

Sharp truck, West !

I'd bet the first speedo is from a car...based on the 80 mph top speed...WAY too optimistic for any truck in the 1930's !

I'd guess between a '33 to '36 REO car...

Guest De Soto Frank

REO actually built the Mack Jr. for Mack...

And in the early 1930s', IHC light pick-ups were built by Willys...

One of my Carspotter's has an interior pic of '33 REO (showing off the "Self-Shifter" tranny, or at least the lack of a floor shift); I'll see if that shows the speedo...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really enjoy reading some of these "What is it" posts, some of those photo's are amazing, and some of the little known facts or histories that are brought up also.

Like I said in my first post, I have a bunch of stuff, mostly small parts and pieces, gauges, etc. that I haven't been able to identify. But I think this just may be the place to find out.

Are you guys any good with carburetors?

baja

Guest GP Gleason

Probably a bit late for you, but according to the speedo number it is for all 37-38 REO EXCEPT 6-50L, 6-75, 6-75L. Hope this helps!

Greg

Guest De Soto Frank

Really?

Then I guess it must be for a truck...according to my 1935-'42 MoToR's, the last model year for REO cars is 1936...

Guest GP Gleason

My Stewart Warner speedo books indicates #596BC is as I showed. So, yes, I assume a truck other than those in the "exception" statement, above. Hope this helps. Now, if I could only find out what that dual hydrostatic is for!

Greg <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [color:\\"purple\\"]Ignorance is bliss </div></div>

gaugeguy,

Not too late at all! That's incredible. I hoped for at best a range of years and if it was car or truck. But to get it nailed down to the year and model blows me away. Thank you.

By the way, I do have a couple more speedo's, do you want to keep your book open a little longer?

baja