Is this a flower vase?

Guest Debby

Guest Debby Soucia

I think it is! Does any body know where it goes in a 1926-1927 Hupmobile?

Below the handles to get in the back seat??

Thanks 357349-Humphey%201927%20flower%20vase.jpg

post-41317-143137885398_thumb.jpg

Guest Stllrng.

That is what was known as a "Bud Vase" and it was mounted in the rear seat compartment, fairly high up, I would imagine above the grab handles.

Guest Debby Soucia

Thank you!

I was told inbetween the two seats but I can not find a place to put it there. Can you tell me if it about level with you eyes(sitting in the back seat) or higher?

What you've got is a generic aftermarket accessory item. It is indeed a bud (flower) vase used for automobiles, but only a few cars ever came equipped from the factory with them. I think in the late teens/20's some Studebakers had them but they were made from nickel plated pot-metal/brass.

Oddly enough, bud vases were never sold in "pairs." You bought them individually and it was just as common to put one in the center of the back seat as it was to put one each on the side pilars in a sedan or limo. You could put them anywhere you wanted to, so long as there was a piece of wood to screw the brackets into.

The vast majority of bud vases had an enclosed top to help keep water from splashing out. Nearly all of them ever made had a small indentation somewhere so a set screw in the bracket could be tightened down to hold them so they wouldnt bounce out.

Fascinating thing to collect, and they are fairly inexpensive, unless you get into odd colors and cut or frosted glass. The brackets are a plus and usually add considerably to the value.

Ive collected, bought, sold them for years and have some info in my collection of early auto accessory catalogs. FYI there is a great display of them currently on exhibit at the AACA Museum, and Im sure the Library & Research Center has some info from some of their old accessory catalogs.

Terry