Transmission vacuum modulator instructions

Ames63

Guest F14CRAZY

Pick up your complimentary service manual at Reatta.net (under documentation)

Are you giving us these instructions or asking for them?

I am requesting instructions from anyone who has completed the repair DIY fashion. Sorry for the confusion. Doing these repairs with out a manual is somewhat frustrating. I will go to reatta.net and pull up the documentation section

Guest F14CRAZY

It's pretty straightforward, and hard to F up on. You don't have to remove any of the spacer things on the new modulator. It will look a lot bigger than your existing one if it's original but will work fine.

Thanks guys, it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. There was only one retaining clip to hold the modulator in place. I popped it out and put in the new one. I was not able to find an original part the new modulator was much smaller than what I had taken off. I was a little concerned at first. But I checked it against the modulater in my car, and apprently mine had been replaced so i told jr. that it should work fine in his car. And it did.

• 6 years later...
Guest beauchase
Thanks guys, it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. There was only one retaining clip to hold the modulator in place. I popped it out and put in the new one. I was not able to find an original part the new modulator was much smaller than what I had taken off. I was a little concerned at first. But I checked it against the modulater in my car, and apprently mine had been replaced so i told jr. that it should work fine in his car. And it did.

Pro-King Automatic Transmission Vacuum Modulator like yours pictured above purchased and installed from Advance. Shifting up and down is harsher than ever in all gears. My problem was Over Drive to Drive or from Drive to Overdrive. No matter which way I turn the modulator it makes no difference in the harshness of the shifts. There are three dimples on the modulator. I have made a complete turn in both directions a dimple at a time with no noticeable adjustment. What was your experience? Did you have to make any adjustments and if so what? Thanks for the help….

Guest beauchase
Back it out about seven turns and check again.

63viking, not sure what you mean. There are no threads nor does it travel in or out while turning.

Pro-King Automatic Transmission Vacuum Modulator like yours pictured above purchased and installed from Advance. Shifting up and down is harsher than ever in all gears. My problem was Over Drive to Drive or from Drive to Overdrive. No matter which way I turn the modulator it makes no difference in the harshness of the shifts. There are three dimples on the modulator. I have made a complete turn in both directions a dimple at a time with no noticeable adjustment. What was your experience? Did you have to make any adjustments and if so what? Thanks for the help….
You are completely off base on how you are trying to adjust the modulator valve. You do not turn the modulator valve itself to adjust how it shifts.

You saved a few bucks by buying from Advance but you didn't get the one on one service you would have gotten at The Reatta Store.

If Advance sold you a modulator valve that is adjustable ...

Here is what you need to do to adjust the modulator valve:

• Make sure the bolt holding the modulator valve is tightened securely.
  • Remove the vacuum line from the modulator valve.
  • Insert a tiny screwdriver into the nipple where the vacuum line was attached. Be sure the screwdriver fits into the slot in the screw (inside the hole)
  • -Turn the screw clockwise to make shifts firmer.
  • -Turn the screw counter-clockwise to make the shifts softer.

You saved 5 bucks buying at Advance and now you've got the help you needed as well. Please shop at The Reatta Store*-*ReattaOwner.com for new Reatta parts. You get a good price and good service after the sale.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest beauchase
You saved a few bucks by buying from Advance but you didn't get the one on one service you would have gotten at The Reatta Store.

Ronnie, I truly appreciate your advice. That’s my ignorance… It never occurred to me that there would be an internal adjustment in the modulator even though I knew I was doing nothing while turning the modulator. I will certainly give that a try this evening. As for shopping The Reatta Store, it wasn’t a matter of saving a few bucks it was availability. We are headed to Florida this weekend and were hoping for a ride in our Reatta down there. We recently did a pan drop/fluid/filter change before heading to Illinois a few weeks ago. We were still experiencing harsh Over Drive to Drive and Drive to Overdrive shifts in hilly terrain between 45 - 50 MPH RE: my post two weeks ago on the subject of which you replied to. I procrastinated until now on the modulator, other things to do. We just uncovered our Reatta last night to install the Advance modulator and get to this point. If the adjustment you have recommended works out all is well and we are headed to Florida in our Reatta Thursday evening otherwise we’re in or 2006 Charger and I’m ordering from The Reatta Store. I value forums like this one. We also have a travel trailer and I frequent those type forums regularly. I truly appreciate your help and will certainly consider shopping The Reatta Store in the future. Thanks again… </SPAN>

No problem on the purchase of the modulator. I was pointing out that you rarely get any service after the sale with most auto parts chain stores. I do buy from them when I have to but once I head for the checkout counter with the part, I don't expect or receive much in the way of information on how to install the part. There are exceptions to that if you are lucky enough to get a clerk that knows a spark plug from a spare tire. Most of the time you are on your own.

Guest beauchase

Ronnie, quick question if I may, if I noticed some whining in the transmission that was there before the modulator swap to you think that will go away as I adjust modulator to add slippage to get rid of the harness? Counter-clockwise to make the shifts softer…got it…. </SPAN>

Whining is usually caused by air in the system or low fluid level. Next thing that comes to mind is the front pump going bad.Probably could be a lot of other things as well. I don't think adjusting the modulator will make that stop but it might be possible.

Sit in the car with the brake on, engine running, and shift back and forth between drive and reverse several times to purge any air from the system. The check the fluid. If low, add a few ounces at a time until it is near but not over the full mark.

Guest beauchase

We did as you suggested last night. It subsided almost completely. We’ll check it again tonight. Thanks!

Guest beauchase

Pro-King Automatic Transmission Vacuum Modulator (Part Number. MD-28) sold by Advance Auto Parts and built by Rostra Precision Controls Rostra (Part Number 51-0069-00-00) was a bust for me and has been returned. Shifting was harsh in all gears after installation of the modulator and a slight whining sound had appeared. My first adjustment was three complete turns counterclockwise to soften shifts. No noticeable change occurred while the whining continued. Next adjust was another three complete turns counterclockwise. Slippage was now occurring while the whining continued. Next adjustment was one turn clockwise to firm the shifts back up. The harness retuned and the whining continued. Enough of that. Original Holley Modulator has been reinstalled and I am back to where I was with harsh Over Drive to Drive and Drive to Overdrive shifts in hilly terrain with no whining. I did notice transmission fluid leaking out the end of the Holley Modulator that goes into the transmission while reinstalling leading me to believe that in fact it is defective. At this point I do not plan to purchase an adjustable modulator. I’m probably going to take the hit and purchase an original equipment replacement AC Delco Number: AC8662967. The whining it what really concerned me. Not worh it to me… I’ll let you know how it works out. Thanks to all who took the time to help me get to this point. <o:p></o:p>

I hate to hear you're still having problems. If you have fluid coming out the hole in the modulator where the vacuum hose connects you need a new modulaotr valve.

As far as I can tell the Pro-King must be a house brand for Advance. I don't see any other reference to it in other reputable parts houses on the Internet.

I personally like to be able to adjust the modulator valve to my liking. I have a small Fram modulator in my Reatta. It adjusts and performs just as expected. That doesn't mean that anyone else would get the same results.

It's unusual t notice a hard shift from third to forth (overdrive). Is it possible you are experiencing a harsh converter lockup? The way to tell is to have the same hilly conditions at the point where you expect the shift, but before it shifts, lightly press the brake pedal (while holding the accelerator steady). When you press the brake pedal it will cause the converter to unlock. Release the brake pedal and it will lock back up. If you feel harshness when the converter lock or unlocks a new modulator valve will not cure that problem.