Templer Automobiles

I am trying to date an old photo with an antique Templer auto in it. No commercial value, only personal. Where and when were Templers made? Photo was taken in Oberlin OH I would guess before or around WWI. Thanks.<BR>

• 3 weeks later...

The Templar was manufactured in Cleveland Ohio between 1917-24. It was advertised as<BR>the "Super Fine Small Car" It was an assembled car, but the company used its<BR>own engines.<BR>The car featured semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension, Hotchkiss drive and a semi-floating live-drive axle.<BR>The engine was a 4 cyl of 3.2 litres. Body styles featured a tourer, roadster and sedan,with prices starting from $1850.<BR>Som models were equipped with a Kodak camera and a compass as standard equipment.<BR>A fire gutted the factory in 1922, severely<BR>disrupting production. <BR>A 6 cyl car was introduced in 1924, with 4<BR>wheel brakes.<BR>Production stopped in autumn 1924 when the firm was deemed to be in default of a loan.<BR>Total production was approximately 6,000.<BR>Production started in July 1917. By the end of 1919 1,800 had been built.<BR>

Just some more info.<BR>The Templar was the best-known of several American attempts to make a high-grade small car just after World War I, but was just as surely doomed by the development of American tastes in automobiles. It was a well-proportioned machine, with radiator and body well within the wheelbase. Materials and finish were superb, the aluminum bodies being given 27 coats of paint. The 3-litre (later 3.2-litre) ?Top Valve? (overhead) engine was smooth in sprite of having only 4 cylinder and very clean in appearance. It was also more efficient than most American power units. Much aluminum was found beneath the hood, too. Standard equipment in the roadster included a compass and Kodak camera. A 3-1/2 ?litre six was also listed for 1917 only. A 4.3-litre 6-cyl engine was listed at the end of the Templar?s career.<BR>

Our club only meets every other month in the winter I won't see John till our next meeting on May 16th, he lives about 90 mile away for me.<BR>I could get a picture or take one then,<BR>if you willing to wait.<P>One Templer he has did something special, I can't remember, but it won some Rally or something. <P>John's museum is not open to the public but he welcomes guests, if you contact him, he is in South Western Indiana right on the Ohio River.<P><BR>------------------<BR><p>[This message has been edited by elgin 16 (edited 03-30-2001).]

• 20 years later...

I just found this thread probably too late.  However, the Templar Motors Corporation stock certificate shows there main office in Cleveland, Ohio, but the actual factory was in Lakewood, Ohio from 1917 to 1924.  The factory suffered a major fire in December, 1921 that severely crippled the Corporation.  Financial difficulties for Templar Corp. was evident in the spring of 1922 according to various articles in "The Automobile" of year 1922.  On March 23, 1922, The Automobile (page 685, column 3) reported that Judge Warner in Franklin County Court took advisement action in receivership proceedings against Templar Motors Company by a stockholder.  A second article on the same date detailed that Judge Warner refused to appoint a receiver for Templar Motors because a creditors' committee was then in charge of the company and was performing the same service as a receiver. ... refinancing of the company seemed evident.  An article on April 20, 1922 (page 892, column 3) discussed the Corporation's payment to creditors and providing new working capital.  At that time the capacity of the factory was 25 cars per day, but Templar was producing 8 cars per day.  By contrast, in 1914 Ford Motor Corp could produce a Model T car in 93 minutes with a car coming off the production line every three minutes. 

Templar Corporation was then struggling with several financial factors, such as economic recovery post-World War One, stiff competition from other auto manufacturers, shortages of materials, their own low volume production and relatively expensive cars compared with other manufacturers.  During World War One the Templar factory manufactured artillery shells for the U.S. government.  Templar produced about 150 cars in 1918.  A Templar coupe cost $4250, and a three-door sedan and a Sportette model cost $2400.  By contrast, in 1925 Ford produced Model T cars at a selling price of $250, producing 9,000 to 10,000 cars per day, two million vehicles annually.  (Ford had manufacturing facilities in a number of locations in the U.S. as well as foreign countries, such as Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Japan, England.)

Attached are several photos: 1918 Templar 4-45, 1919 Templar illustration, 1920 Templar roadster, 1923 Templar 4-45 Coupe, and a 1924 Templar 4-45 touring car.

Templar stock certificate.jpg

18 Templar 4-45 roadster 01.jpg

19 Templar illustration.jpg

20 Templar Rdstr 01-03.jpg

23 Templar 4-45.jpg

24 Templar 4-45 touring 002 01.jpg

• 4 months later...

The Templar cars are in a building in Lakewood Ohio ,,the building at 13000 Athens Ave. in The Lake Erie Building. Is also a Screw Company. The owner opens the building twice a year along with a Arts and Craft studios in the 3 story building warehouse. May 6-7 a arts and craft studios is having a opening 10-3pm My BCA Buick chapter is doing a tour at the time.  https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057133703278   http://www.templarmotors.com/index.shtml

Templar cars.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...