reconditioning leather interior

Guest Dolores

Guest Dolores

I'm concerned that my driver seat will start to crack. It already does show some wear. I use a leather conditioner but that only goes so far. Has anyone had their seats redone? And if so, how much? My interior is white leather. Any ideas? Thanks.

All the guys in the car shows with white leather interior, use shaving foam to condition their seats. Apparently, the moisturizing properties in the foam, help to condition the seats. You just rub it on with a damp cloth and rub it off with a dry one. As far as replacing the leather, I had a quote of $150.00 to replace the vinyl strip at the side of the seat, so I can only expect that the leather would be very expensive to replace.

Seems like this came up before and everyone has an opinion.<BR>The leather seats on (I think all american cars) are painted. This makes it difficult to "treat" the leather because the conditioner must soak through the paint to the leather. All leather conditioners indicate they are the best. I have tried several and can see no difference between them. One experiment.. a right and left hand leather glove. I have treated the right with one product and the left with another. Flexibility, strength,etc does not appear to change.<BR>The white seats are probably the most difficult to keep looking new and keep clean.<BR>Use a good cleaner or saddle soap and scrub. On the cleaners, sample a place that cannot be seen, I thought I ruined a seat once when I forgot to do this and the cleaner almost cleaned the color off.<BR>Scrub the cracks, seams etc with an old tooth brush and cleaner before using a preservative. If your seats are badly cracked, check the yellow pages or ask the used car department of the better makes who they use to recondition leather seats.<BR>These restoration guys can fill and color a crack and it will disappear.<BR>Depending upon where you live, try to find a farm store, western shop, or Pets Mart with an equestrian department. These places will have good products for leather. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.