California trip

Barney Eaton

I leaving Texas next Wednesday and driving to the LA area. Can anyone suggest things to see? I may go by Speedway in Phoenix just to survey their Reattas. I also hope to get reservations at the Nerthercutt Collection.<P>I will not be driving my Reatta...not enough room for two weeks on the road.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

The Nerthercutt is a collection of beautiful, rare, well restored vehicles. Housed in a purposly built "showroom". The location is the northern San Fernando Valley just off Interstate 5. Mr. Nerthercutt is half of Merle Norman cosmetic. Recently they opened an additional 40,000 sq.ft. of display space across the street. Well worth the side trip however reservations are required. The phone number for information is 818-367-2251<P>PS..I was able to book 11/21 at 10am.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Barney<BR>I visited Speedway in Phoenix and they did not let me into the lot that stores the Reattas. You may want to call them first before going there to see if they will let you visit the extra lot that has the 70 or so Reattas. Their main lot has only about 3 or 4 Reattas. Ask for Phil when you call.<P>I live south of LA in Winchester which is about 50 miles north of San Diego off the 15 freeway, If you have time I would like for us to meet while you are in the area. Drop me an E-mail of your schedule and let me know if you would like to get together.<P>Also if you plan to visit Nerthercutt you will need to make an apointment. I visited there and it is very worthwhile. <P>Fred

Guest John Chapman

Barney,<P>A couple of tips for the LA area. Stop buy a AAA and get the tour maps, they make life a lot easier.<P>Expect LA traffic to be very heavy 7/24 and near gridlock from 6-9 AM and 3-7 PM. Plan your driving accordingly.<P>Car Related Stuff San Diego/LA:<P>Petesen Museum, 6060 Wilshire Blvd (at Fairfax) in LA, (323)930-CARS Allow at least four hours to see all of it. Has resturant.<P>Route 66 Historical Route (AAA will have the books). Day trip would allow a drive from San Bernadino to Santa Monica, where old 66 ends at the Will Rogers monument. Lots of 30's - 50's car-related things.<P>US 395 Parts are still driveable from Escondido to Temecula.<P>Mulholland Drive north of LA.<P>Pacific Coast Highway (CA 1). Best from Redondo Beach to Malibu. If you saw any of the Annette Funichello movies, you'll recognize this. Likewise, the Santa Monica pier.<P>Griffith Park Observatory. See where James Dean filmed in Rebel Without a Cause. Has plaques, too. The Mercury used was in Petesen, but may be back at the National Auto Museum in Reno now.<P>San Diego Auto Museum, Balboa Park San Diego<BR>(619)231-2886. Small but well-tended, in the middle of Balboa Park. San Diego Aerospace Museum is across parking lot. An hour for the cars, two for the planes.<P>Deer Park Auto Museum, north of Escondido, CA. Just off I-15. Is sponsored by an active winery. Sandwich shop/gift shop. Claims (and I believe it) the world's largest convertible collection. There are several hundred cars, from concours to sad. Mostly late 40s to early 70s. Have a full set of restored '53 specialty convertibles (Eldorado, Skylark and Fiesta). Figure 3-4 hours.<P>There's more at: <A HREF="http://www.team.net/www/museums/us.html#ca" TARGET=_blank>http://www.team.net/www/museums/us.html#ca</A> <P>Email with questions, etc.<P>Cheers,<BR>John<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>John Chapman<BR>BCA 35894<BR>1965 Skylark Convertible (Some Assembly Required)<BR> jmchapman@aol.com