tapedeck problem

HRP

The radio/tape player/cd player in my 91 Reatta convertable works just fine, above 70 degrees. When it gets colder than 70, the tape player just clicks about 6 times, then spits out the tape. If I left a playing tape in overnight, it will contine to play until the tape ends, then rather than reverse, it just clicks about 6 times and ejects the tape. I've cleaned the heads, etc. but with no change. The radio and cd player work fine below 70. Help, please.<P>------------------<BR>

Mine strated doing this too (clicking 6 times whenever I start the car, twice when I turn it off). Mine won't even let me close the door with a tape inside. This happens all the time. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any suggestions for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the drive bands are at fault. The older they are the more worn out. They have a tendency to be so loose that they can't grip the spindal. Also for the door not opening,open the door and look inside. Near the upper left side you will see a small leaver. If it is bent in a little the door will not latch properly. Rebend it to the proper position and the door will close.

Most of the time when auto reversing decks make this noise it's because the drive belts are shot and slipping. Though I haven't repaired this on a Reatta I may be doing one soon. I'll give you an update if and when I know more. Check with your local dealer and see how much they want to get the deck repaired. A good repair service for car electronics is United Radio. I believe they're in New York. I sent a 1990 Reatta radio to them, that had an odd problem, and they fixed it quickly and for what I thought was a reasonable price ($110).<BR> Good Luck,<BR> John Friese