Relays?

I would like to know where abouts the brake relays are located on my 1990 Reatta coupe. Also, would the ABS brake light come on if the relay were bad? And where do I go to replace the relay? Thanks!

Use the search feature at the top right of the page. Do searches on Brakes, Relays, Abs, etc. A bad relay can make the ABS light come on. Try switching the relays to see if the problem goes away. I don't have the Part# on hand, but if you do a search on postings by Wally888, I know he listed part #'s along with other valuable abs info......Good luck...Dan<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.jersey.net/~tdc/Reatta1.jpg</A>

The brake relays are on the front side of the firewall, centered on the car. They mount on a bracket there that could hold 3 relays, but only two are on my convertible. I believe the one nearest the brake system is called the "main" relay and the one next to it is the "pump motor" relay. Failure of the relays themselves would not directly cause a panel indicator but the associated loss of brake system function (i.e. low pressure) should cause a warning light on the dash. I recently replaced both of them in my car when I had a momentary brake boost failure. I also replaced what I suspect is the most likely suspect in the system, the brake system pressure switch assembly. It turns out that this assembly contains 3 switches. All of these switches are exposed to the fluid pressure in the system. I believe that a pressure seal failure in this assemly will cause various brake problems to show.<BR>One switch operates (through a relay) the pump motor. Another is supposed to operate a warning light on the dash. The third is supposed to send a failure message to the computer.<BR>The relays cost about $15 each and the switch was about $125. The relays you can change yourself. They just plug in. The switch is a bit trickier and best left to a Buick mechanic.

There are 2 Relays on my 89. They are located next to the Brake reservoir assy. on the firewall. The inside relay is the 'Main' Relay. My ABS light was on intermittently for months and then permently. The brakes were not affected at all. I changed the relay P/N MR116 at Discount Auto and the light went out. It comes on for about 10 sec. at startup and then goes out as it's supposed to.