1948 desoto

dieseldust

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

To get your V8 in there you will find that the steering box will be in the way. I am not much into the Nova subs as the mopar motors dont fit them very well. Maybe a Volare or Mustang II kit available from Fat man Fab. All depending on your skills.

By the way DO NOT put a chev motor in your Desoto.......

Its sacrelege.

JACK M.....yes, putting a Chevy engine in a DeSoto (or ANY Chrysler product) is grounds for elimination from our society. We will hunt you down and force you to rip it out and install a 340. Now.....where are you located so we can begin the hunt?

• 4 months later...
Guest 78airdoctor

lol im sure your not interested if you want to do a v-8 but i happen to have a complete drive train from a 1948 desoto with about 80,000 miles on it. im looking to sell all of it cuz im going to do a v-8 swap.

• 6 months later...

I have a '48 desoto custom and need the clear knobs for the gearshift and turn signal. I also wondered if anyone has any idea what the color upholstry was usually in these? I have bought some Coker H78 x 15s WWW and the tires on the car look to be rubbing on one of the front end parts. Anyone have any idea why this might happen? It is in very good shape and has low mileage. I am just retired and this was my first car at age 15, so it has a lot of value to me and I want to keep it original as I can. Any help would be appreciated.

Today's tires are much wider than the ones that came on your car. Wide tires on old cars often rub, the car was just not designed for them.

You have to use either the cheapest tires or the most expensive. I have Walmart's Marshal 791 225 75 R15 tires on my DeSoto. They are the cheapest tires on the market and are a good 2 inches narrower than name brand tires of the same size.

Or you can buy expensive wide whitewall tires made on 60 year old molds, guaranteed to fit the same as original.

I am going by the instance of my 1931 Dodge where the previous owner used spacers to fit the wire wheels tighter. Some rings with holes were used behind the wire wheels and just wreaked havoc with the balance and tightness of my wheels. Just before I bought the car, the previous owner had me drive the car to see what the "problem" was. It felt like the wheel bearings were all loose. I asked him what he did and he told me about the spacers that his mechanic/body man installed. I guess he did not have the correct lug nuts and tried to make up for that with the spacers. The event ruined a wire wheel and wallowed out the lug nut holes. I still have those stupid spacers and laugh every time I see them in my garage. I suppose that there are some that MAY work, but I would avoid them if at all possible.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)