Sign in to follow this  
Wes Anderson

How do I identify vintage Fuel Pumps?

Hi, yes, I have found the numbers but I want to put them on the right car. is there a listing for what car used what pump? I have a couple that are MASSIVE! These are all NOS. I most of them are AC but there are a few that are totally unmarked but look identical to ones marked AC...what's up with this?

Thanks

The un-marked are probably aftermarket...

Some long-time fuel-pump makers are:

Airtex

Hy-Grade (fuel products division of Standard Auto Products (Blue-Streak)

Carter (their stuff is marked though)

KEM

And others, I'm sure...

Wes,

Various parts mfrs. usually have a section in their catalogs that list parts (such as fuel pumps) by number, then have a line listing which applications said number services...

But, you have to know which manufacture the pump in question is...

The pump for a given car may have different numbers for each Mfr....

My 1935-'42 MoToR's Auto Repair Manual has a "Fuel Pump Index" spread over two pages (70 & 71), ranging from Auburn to Willys & Overland [sic].

It lists the year & model, then the A.C. pump number (six or seven digits), then there is an "Exchange Number" (three digits).

The A.C. numbers all seem to start with "152____" or "153____", so perhaps that is a prefix, and the last four digits are the "part number".

I don't know if the numbers you listed were arbitrary, but so far I have not found them on a list.

Try contacting Tom Hannaford at the Antique Auto Parts Cellar in Weymouth Mass...if anyone knows fuel pumps, it'd be him. Might be able to help you with ID...

See in you can get an interchange manual, there available on CD. it lists the what the fuel pumps by numbers and models.

email and send you a copy, the system will not let attach a doc file.

I am looking for 42 senior series Packard.

good luck joe

Yes, those were made up numbers...BUT with one in hand that is LARGE it is AC and the flange number is 9418. the arm says 1523670....I have this one on e-bay now infact selling it blind. THanks

Wes

Wes,

I didn't find your 1523670 in my MoToR's listing...if it "looks bigger than any auto fuel pump you've ever seen"... I would hazard a guess that it's from an big truck or some industrial application.

If you post a pic and any numbers with your e-bay, there 's a chance that someone who knows what they're looking for will catch it...