Reatta Bumper Maintenance

It seems like the only thing on my Reatta that I can't keep looking new is the top of the rear bumper. I appears to by something like a polished aluminum, but with a coating. That coating is what is getting dull, and more on the left side which just happens to be were the exhaust is. Don't have any problem with the front bumper. This seems to be a common problem with Reattas so if anyone has found an effective way to bring the shine back I would love to hear it. Thanks<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/drbuch2000/myhomepage/index.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Dave Buchanan (edited 09-27-2000).]

The aluminum face bar is clear anodized. This is similar to chrome plating except the aluminum is placed in an acid bath and an electrical current leaves the aluminum porous. It is then clear sealed. This is very common in the electronics industry.<P>Your Reatta bumper can be brought to a bumper shop or a plating shop where it is stripped and reanodized. Cost should be around $200. <P>The rear bar may still be available from GM. Last I checked the front one was, cost around $700. The on-line places are useless for this sort of oversize stuff; shipping will be $300 canceling any item cost savings.

Guest allbuick

another option is to have the bumper chrome plated while it is at the plating shop. Most platers can chrome the bumper to a finish very close to original but the chrome is everlasting. Speedway Auto in Phoenix (www.reattaparts.com) offers plated bumpers if your shop cannot do yours.