Cruise control on all the time harmful?

Guest dperras

Question: somebody borrowed my car the other day and noticed that the cruise control was left "on". They said that you shouldn't keep the cruise control in the "on" position when you're not using it, as this is somehow harmful.<P>Any truth to this, or an "old wives' tale"?<P>

Consider your cruise control switch a safety interlock (akin to the safety on your gun).<P>It will, in itself, cause no harm yet leaving it on puts you one step closer to accidental activation of the cruise control. <P>Is this a problem? It could be if you accidently engage "resume" at low speed and the cruise is set at highway....<P>It gets really exciting for a couple of seconds.<P>Remember the words of Mark Twain....<BR>It is better to be careful 100 times that to be dead once (and sorry Mister Twain for abusing your quote)

Maybe it is 25! 25, 45 what's the difference (20mph!) I thought (dangerous) it said 45 in the owners manual. So I was wrong, imagine that! wink.gif (OK so I checked the owners manual and it is 25, so "Puget" and Mark Twain are probably right)<p>[This message has been edited by wsc00743 (edited 09-28-2000).]