89 Reatta Value

Guest wally888

Bet a lot of controversy will follow!<BR> I just purchased another 89 w/ 80k for 6k.<BR> If not for owning 2 at the moment I would probably offer 8 k for the one you described if I could determine it's condition!ie,-ck. codes, condition of brake system, dash cracks, tires must be wx. cracked by now, and if it has 16 way seat or roof, headliner coming loose........

miata'nreatta, Damn girl, ouch! Talk about dissastified customers. Bear in mind, you have the first production model year of the Reatta ever built. (And in my opinion the worst!) <P>It is no great mystery that the Reatta borowed heavily from the Riviera, which got HORIBLE ratings in the mid to late eighties. So if you judge your car on the fact that it's only original part is the body, then you can understand why your dissapointed.<P>I think that the computer geeks at Buick dropped the ball when they came up with the CRT. Problem is, they made several of the damn things before people realized they sucked. <P>So the guys who pulled the strings for the Reatta had no choice but to use them. I think the inovators of the Reatta wanted the interior, engine, and ride to be different. <P>But hit a brick wall when it came to the movers and shakers at GM. Therefore, they had to compromise just to get their car out. <BR>I think they started to get things right in 90 and definately 91. By then, the price had jumped to $28,000 and no one would buy them.<P>As far as a reasonable price for an 89 with that mileage? I'd say around 6 to 8 grand would be fair<P>

Guest wally888

I had a 91 w/ 40k, absolutely perfect on the outside. Not even one door ding. I did not like it! The engine ran about 400 rpm higher than my 89 at all speeds, lower gas mileage, it felt big w/ 16" tires and rims.It was nicer to drive fast and on interstate but I hated the steering wheel as I could not(air bag) use my LH as w/ skinny wheel.(just thumb and forefinger.<BR> None of the above is the reason for this post!<BR>I think a lot will read here and:Each of the 3 R's I have owned had at least 1 small, 1/2 moon shaped, dash crack(on the rearward side of dashpad that houses the defroster grille)<BR> This pad is held down by several metal fasteners and it appears they corrode and attatch themselves almost permanently to their recepticles.If this is true, the reasons for the cracks seems to be the pad, at the fastener location, can't expand and contract w/ the rest of the pad.<BR> If I owned a car w/o any cracks in this pad I would consider removing the pad and lubricating the fasteners to prevent cracking<BR>in the future.<BR> Perhaps cars who are not exposed to extreme inside temps. don't have this problem. All of mine were from the deep south.<BR> There is an article on T. Jenkins site describing how to remove defroster grille and pad w/o breaking!

These cars are in that "not yet an antique/classic (not old enough), not new enough (for dealers to come up with a good price) situation." So, I have to agree that prices are pretty much what you can get at this point. Personally if I had one with 20,000 miles in "like new" condition I would get it appraised and ask the appraisel price.<BR>Bear in mind that the more you ask the longer it will probably take to sell it, although if you aren't in any hurry then then that would be the way to go.<BR> Like the British roadsters of yore, these cars have, shall we say, a lot of <I>character</I> wink.gif. But ain't that what makes em' so much fun?