Dynaflow Rebuild Instructions

rmartens

A bit too long ago I disassembled the major sections of the Dynaflow out of my '56 Century. I just purchased a set of gaskets to put it all back together, and there appear to be many more gaskets than I need for the amount of disassembly I did.

I need instructions/parts diagrams so that I can put this thing back together correctly, including torque specifications. Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. My e-mail is rmartens@fbcwoodland.org, and I can provide a fax number if that works better.

Thanks!

The information requested may be available in a shop manual--but I somehow lost mine in a move 10 years ago... I'll reimburse any photocopying, faxing, and mailing charges. (If anyone with this info is local to the Sacramento area, I'd be happy to make arrangements to pick it up promptly.)

I've got the parts, cleared a large work area in the garage, and am ready to tackle the project--but I need advice so I don't mess it up! Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest imported_MrEarl

If no one else has anything better, I have a 56 Manual that I can copy the pertinent info from and send you. Also have "The Dynaflow Doctor" that I could copy for you. I would think someone would have a spare 56 Manual they could sell ya. Let me know if nothing else surfaces and I'll help. I certainly admire your bravery and confidence in tackling a Dynaflow.

It really wasn't bravery or confidence--stupidity is probably the better description.

The tranny ceased to move the car one day and made a terrible racket when I tried to use it. A mechanic friend and I traced the noise to the transmission, so I got some quotes to rebuild it. I couldn't afford what people wanted to rebuild it, so I figured I might as well tear into it to see what went wrong and whether I could simply replace a part or two myself.

I pulled it apart in the three major sections--front pump, center section, and tailshaft area. Looked at mechanical areas, not hydraulic--as my noise was mechanical. Left the valve body alone. Saw no problems with pumps, clutches planetaries, or torque convertor innards.

Then I pulled the driveshaft. Inner splines at tail end were stripped to nothing--had been gradual wear and tear I guess, and then finally spun. I guess the torque tube transmitted the noise to the tranny, and since the propellor shaft wasn't exposed, I wasn't able to tell that it had been turning while the pinion wasn't! So what could have been about 2 weeks of down time has turned into nearly 5 years, with about 1 1/2 years with the tranny on the bench.

I recently found a mint driveshaft, and have the gaskets I need to put the tranny back together. I don't think I've messed with any significant adjustments or tolerances, but I want to put it together correctly and reclaim the rest of my garage!

Thanks

A 56 Dynaflow is a really simple tranny to rebuild needing only a few special tools that you can fabricate yourself. BUT, you WILL need a shop manual, it will take you through the process step by step. They are readily available for about $35, and if you have the car you really should have a munual anyway.......Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_MrEarl

Rick,

A 56 shop manual, school manual, service bulletins and Dynaflo Doctor are on their way to ya. Ought to be enough to confuse ya REAL good. G'luck...

MrEarl: What is the "Dynaflow Doctor" you speak of? You know me, always on the lookout for some good Buick literature....

By the way Rick, I'm local to you (Rocklin) if you ever need to stop by and borrow anything Buick related. The 1956 Shop Manual is scanned in chapter sections up on my website, you can download the tranny section and print it if you need to. I have a Dynaflow maintenance manual, but I'm not sure how detailed it is (dynaflows are listed in there along with hydramatics and such).

Budd

Guest imported_MrEarl

The Dynaflow Doctor was published in the early fifties I believe and is sort of a training manual aimed at the service manager level. While not real technical it does describe the nomenclature and how the dynaflow works. If you'd like to scan it and add it to your site just ask Rick to forward it to you after he is finished with it, then you can send it back to me.

Guest 53Nailhead

Lamar, Robert beat me to it I was also wondering about the 'dynaflow Doctor ' & where I could find a copy. Robert if you do scan it onto your site please let me know so I can look it over as well. Mr. Earl your the best! Some people wouldn't let that out of their site, let alone send it cross country.

Les

That would be great Lamar, thanks. Rick, if-n-when you're done with the "Dynaflow Doctor", let me know and I can either come pick it up or you can mail it. I just rumaged through "the pile" (otherwise known as my desk) and found I have a "Dynaflow and Powerglide Transmissions Diagnosis, Repair and Adjustment" book, published in 1957. It has about 60pp on the Dynaflow, with pictures. Not a rebuild guide, mind you, but a good one for diagnosis and adjustment. I'll make that the next item to scan and post up on the website.

Of all the literature I search for on the 56 Buicks, I find that Dynaflow information is some of the most difficult to come by. Does anyone know of the year ranges for Dynaflow? Did it start in 1953 on through 1956, then on to the "Twin Turbine" in 1957, or something like that? Was their a Triple Turbine, or Flight Pitch, or something like towards the end of the 50's Buicks?

Budd

Guest imported_Thriller

I have Dynaflows in my '52 Roadmaster with straight 8 and my '61 Invicta 401, but I'm not sure of the entire year range.

Guest imported_MrEarl

In 1948 Buick introduced the DYNAFLOW, the first Buick automatic transmission since the trials of a decade earlier and became the first American-built car to use a torque converter. Dynaflow was offered initially only on the Roadmaster, and only as a $206 option.

In 1947 Harlow Curtice announced that Buicks answer to no shift, clutchless driving" was just about ready, without mentioning it's name. In mid-January 1948 he was ready with the name; the Dynaflow was here. and a reporter, after test driving a Dynaflow-equipped Roadmaster , wrote this impression:" The most pronounced sensation...is the total absence of the noises and interrupted car movement associated with gear shiftin whether it is done manually or by automatic shift. The car just glides forward and the only sound is the purr of the motor.

You can read more about the Dynaflow and its torque converter drive which originated in the WW II Buick built M-18 Hellcat tanks in "The Buick A Complete History" pages 246 247. And if you go there drop back to page 232 and look at that beautiful 42 Super convertible.To me, next to Mr Earls own Y-job, it and its sister the 42 Roadmaster are the most beautiful Buicks ever built.Yep, and I say this in a whisper, even more beautiful than the 54 Roadmaster.

Guest imported_MrEarl

1948-Dynaflow

1953-Twin Turbine Dynaflow

1955-Twin Turbine with variable pitch (good for passing those Chevy's)

1956-Twin Turbine with Fixed Blade Stator (finally something to get it off the startin line)

1957-Triple Turbine "Flight Pitch"

1961-Dual Path Turbine Drive Downsized to fit into the smaller Specials

1964-Super Turbine 300

1969-Turb Hydra Matic (THM)350

Mr. Earl did send the books and I photocopied what I needed from them this weekend--but I hadn't stopped back by here lately to see all of this additional interest. Budd, I finally checked my PM's for your address--I'll get the Dynaflow Doctor right out to you. I look forward to checking out your website!

Big thanks to "Mr. Earl"!!

Rick

Okey dokey, the "Dynaflow and Powerglide Transmissions: Diagnosis, Repair and Adjustment" manual is now scanned and uploaded on my website. I only scanned the 60 pages that deal with the Dynaflows, and it looks to cover from 1948 to late 1956 (Twin Turbine). Some really good information in this one, looks to cover the solutions to just about every leak condition there is (and boy, do these things LEAK). Thanks for sending on the manuals that Lamar mailed to you. I'll be sure to scan and post those as well, prior to mailing back to MrEarl.

Thank you too, Lamar, for your trust and generosity with regards to mailing on the manuals to a fellow Buick enthusiast.

Cheers,

Budd

Guest 53Nailhead

Budd, I've tried to get a look @ the 'Dynaflow Doctor' on your site but the Nav bar isn't loading. Is it on my end or yours? I've tried the reset many times without success.

Thanks, Les

Guest imported_MrEarl

I've been choking my mouse for the last 30 minutes. Can't get Adobe to launch.I don't think he has Dyna Dr downloaded yet. I'm trying to open the other Dynaflow manual. It's more than likely my computer on my end. It's been acting crazy lately. I'm sure if it's on Budd's end he'll take care of it. Tha boy is a computer whiz. Love his website!!!

No, not on my end as far I as I know. It's a Java applet, so it's not loading on your end due to a java issue with your PC. You can try going to Sun and downloading/installing the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to see if it fixes the problem on your computer. JRE Link

Cheers,

Budd

In the meantime, here's a direct link to the file on my site. 1956 Buick Dynaflow Diagnosis

Guest 53Nailhead

Budd, downloaded the Javewhatsyamacallit & everything loaded fine. I did not see the 'Dynaflow Doctor', is Lamar correct & it hasn't been scaned? Or did I just miss it? Fantastic site, read just about everything on it!

Thanks, Les

Go under "1956 Manuals & Guides" on the nav menu, then choose "Mechanical". You will see on the right hand pane, at the bottom, "1956 Buick Dynaflow Diagnosis, Repair and Adjustment". Click the orange image of the cover of the manual, and an Adobe PDF document will load that is the collection of pages from that manual.

I do not have "Dynaflow Doctor" scanned yet, still waiting for it to arrive in the mail. The one that is scanned and posted was a different manual that I happened to have (but had not scanned yet).

Also, since more than one set of folks has had problems with their java environment, I added another link on the main page for folks to reload their JRE. That usually fixes the problem for them.

Cheers,

Budd

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 53Nailhead

Robert, did you ever receive the 'Dynaflow Doctor'? Just curious not a pressure tactic wink.gif. I've downloaded the 'Dynaflow' manual that you were kind enough to put on your site & like yourself just looking for any info I can get my hands on.....the nights up here are getting longer colder!!

No, I have not received it (it's not mine, it's Lamar's). I have a bid in on one though, so perhaps that will arrive before Mr.Earl's does. I'll make sure it gets posted when I get it in.

You will *all* be excited on the project I've been working on lately... smile.gif It's taken me a while of figuring out the GM part "scheme" and how it maps to a relational database model... but I think I have it figured out. More to come later, with screen shots.

Cheers,

Budd

Guest 53Nailhead

Robert, I did'nt really understand the 2nd part of your reply but for some reason I'm intrigued! I realize that your waiting for Lamar's edition, must be on the 'Pony Express'! grin.gif Looking forward to both.

Thanks, Les

Guest 53Nailhead

WOW!! ooo.gif. Looking forward to it. It's because of the generosity of people like yourself, Lamar & so many others on this board that makes this hobby so enjoyable. We kid & poke fun at on another from time to time but everyone knows it's just for fun & were all here for the same reason, the love of the cars & the history...Lord knows I'm not in it for the money!! wink.gif

• 1 month later...

I received Lamar's copy of "Your the Dynaflow Doctor" from Rick, and I packaged it back up and sent it on to Lamar. I just received in the copy that I bought off eBay, so I'm ready to scan it now-- but unfortunately, my scanner just died. Can't imagine why, I think I've worked it to death.

So, short story long, I have another scanner coming in the mail, and I'll commit to getting the "Dynaflow Doctor" up on the website before Christmas. Honest... really. Trust me. The check is in the mail. Not intended for use with small children.

Budd smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The "Dynaflow Doctor" and another 39pp Dynaflow Rebuild workbook have been scanned and posted. I can't tell what year these were published-- if I were to make a guess based off of the cars shown in the pictures, I guess early 50's? maybe. I'm not sure how well the manuals for an early Dynaflow will apply to a later years Dynaflow, but they're worth a look I guess.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Budd

Please see my post under "Dynaflow Line Pressure".

I never thought about the year possibly making a difference, but I did note, for example, that the "Dynaflow Doctor" did not warn you that you need to block or make a loop for the AT cooler lines when spinning the TC by hand to get pressure up. I think '56 was the 1st year for an external cooler.

I also noted that the test procedure didn't warn me that without the torque ball retainer in place, fluid would run out the tailshaft housing before reaching the specified test fill level--bottom of the low and reverse servo inspection ports...

Thanks,