On the way to Batavia

Bill Stoneberg

Mr. Earl,

A bunch of us from Texas are driving up to Batavia, braving the heat and high gas prices. I thought I would start this post so you all can keep track of our trials and progress. Others are welcome to add to it as they leave or arrive at a overnight.

Its 95 degrees in Katy today, with the humidity about the same. I have all my spare parts loaded, the car as good as I can get it to running and Dee is packing our clothes.

We are scheduled to leave at 6 am tommorrow headed for just short of Little Rock, Arkansas. Its about 450 miles which will be the longest day of the bunch. We want to beat the afternoon heat and hope to get there by 4 or 5 and sit in A/C the rest of the day.

I have a full tank of gas and a cooler full of water and cokes. Sandwhices will be made on the road and I have loaded my Ipod with traveling music.

I am taking my computer and all stops have wireless access. So until tommorrow, enjoy the Pepsi 400.

Guest 53Nailhead

Here, Here & God speed!! Looking forwsrd to meeting you next week.

Les

Great to know your incident this week has not slowed you down!

We will be chasing Bill tomorrow, but will be getting a later start since it is 12:30am and I just got off work. We plan to leave Seguin at 9:00am and make it to Texarkana for the first stop...about 425 miles...what can I say, I'm old and slow.

The chase car is the 55 Century in the avatar, also loaded and serviced. My laptop is going too, but I may have to settle for dialup since I am too cheap to stay in the snooty places with high speed connections.

Later

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guys,

I'll be following your progress. As they say, gettin there is half the fun.I hope everybody has a safe and fun trip. laugh.gif

Well, the lovely Mrs. Buick5563 uses Her laptop for Her work so I will have to bum one from these guys if I will be saying anything in the next ten days. I will be following both Willie and Bill, but leaving on Monday the Fourth. If I'm not needed for assistance before Memphis, my father (navigator) wants to head north on 55 and hit the Blue Ridge parkway, since he has seen enough of interstate 40. I'm cool with that.

Today I'll be packing my car and doing some last minute detailing to get ready for tomorrow.

Also, yesterday I made one last attempt at getting my AC to run right but I think there is a restriction somewhere causing the lines to ice up. frown.gif Like Bill said in an earlier post, I guess I will have the 460 air conditioning too. Everything else is running well, so I guess I will be traveling more in the 7 am to 3 or 4 pm range.

Mike

"Take off like you know what you're doing"

(Old Tank)

Drive safely guys and hope y'all arrive safe and sound. If any one is driving on I-79 in PA near Pittsburgh and needs assistance give me a call. My cell number is 724-622-7614. My wife and I will be pulling out of the driveway on Tuesday around 10 so we'll be available until then. After that, we'll be on I-79 headed North with our own little convoy of the 68 Skylark convt., and Rendezvous towing our Scamp camper. Honk if you see us!!!

We made 425 miles and caught Bill in Texarkana...I'll let him fill you in on the details.

The only thing "exciting' on the trip happened in Georgetown, TX. A car was passing me and slowed down next to me and honked. When I was going to do my usual smile and wave, I looked over and saw a big hairy ass---I got 'mooned'!!

Temps were 90's/100's, no issues with the car, gas mileage was ~16mpg. Maybe Nashville tomorrow.

Willie

Well its 9 pm on we made it all the way to Texakana Texas. 317 miles for me plus probably another 20 on the tow truck.

We left making good time about 6:30 am this morning. Until 10 - 10:30 the 460 A/C worked well. Then the sun came out and it started to warm up. We noticed my temp guage slowly creeping up to the DANGER ZONE. Pulled off for lunch and discovered anti-freeze all over the engine. Made a sandwhich let the car cool, added a 1/2 gallon of water and took off. Next stop was a Wal mart to see if they could tell if I had a leaky hose. Didin't look like it.

I had been talking to Willie (Old Tank) and we had a plan to get to Texakana and stay overnight there. Next morning we would try to fix the car. It 100 + degrees down here at the moment, so working on it tonight in a parking lot, just wont cut it.

So we left Wal mart hand headed down the road, we only had to go 25 miles or so, but we didn't make it. My temprature guage went to the hotter then hell setting and we pulled off and turned off.

An hour later the tow truck driver dropped us off at the only shop in town where someone was actually fixing cars. Sunday before July 4th and the man is working. We sat and watched him two trucks with various problems before he got to mine.

In the meantime Willie and Mary Ann got to Texarkana and picked us up for dinner. About 8:15 we went back got the car and went to our hotel with the car running fine.

So what are the chances of finding an open garage on Sunday before a holiday ? Much less one that can fix your car ? I was luck I had a spare water pump with me, but still to find someone to put it in on a hot summer afternoon, is great. He didn't even charge me too much. Now, truthfully I would have paid twice what he charged me for labor.

So much for the first days excitment. Now on to Nashville tommorrow. Is it ever going to cool off ? I had a thermometer in the car and it was way too hot most of the day.

Well we made better time today, but the day was not without problems.

I am glad people are friendly in gas stations because every time I stopped for gas, I had to get pushed by strangers to start the car again.

Firsy gas stop, I got out of the car and started filling the tank. I heard the explosion and then all the anti freeze came out on the ground. Turns out a hose had popped off. Put it on and had no more probelms.

My starter on the other hand, decided it wanted to quit or just wanted to work sometimes. We made it to Dickson Tenn. before stopiing tonight. When we got to the Holiday Inn, they had shade and it was cool too, so it was time to change the starter.

I got the old one out, put the old solinoid on and had it in the car. I was putting the battery cable on when the bakelite broke. I guess I put too much pressure on it. So out came the starter again and on went a new solinoid.

Put it back in and the car wouldn't start. I knocked a wire off of the coil messing around with the starter.

So anyway, now the car starts, runs and goes good. But I need a glass shop in Batavia as the front window came off the track and broke.

Also, if any one has a timing light they are bringing, I would appreciate checking the timing.

445 miles today, tomorrow on past Columbus Ohio. BTW, it has cooled of a bit. Hope it statys this way.

Well as Bill knows I was not without problems also. In Little Rock the car was really running badly; missing, backfiring and no power, but would idle. To make a long story short the rotor tip burned off...easy fix but took a long time to diagnose in 95* heat on a truck stop parking lot. I will try to post a picture later.

Tomorrow night NE of Columbus...maybe Mansfield.

Willie

Guest imported_MrEarl

So Bill and Willie, are y'all having fun yet. wink.gif

Actually, sounds like your having a typical cross country trip just like it was in the old days back before the dependable autos of today. But coupled with the fact that you CAN actually work on the vehicle without attaching it to a computer probably does actually make it fun. or maybe challenging would be a better term. Bill, how much luckier could you be than for it to wait til you are stopped at a gas station to blow a waterhose off.

Sounds like you're out ahead of a pretty strong storm system.

Can't wait to see some pictures. You all are in my prayers.

Guest my3buicks

I always enjoy traveling to nationals, but I always have this half sick tense nervous stomach going - usually not as bad coming back for some reason. I also always keep track of the "middle" zone - your at the point of not being close to home or close to where your going. This year I probably should take something before I leave since I am bringing 2 up - my nerves will be frazzled by the time I get there, thank goodness it's close (240 miles). We are leaving Mars around 5:30 Wednesday eve if anyone else is heading up from the Pittsburgh area that eve.

Guest 53Nailhead

You guys are making me nervous. I'm with you Keith, I've also got a knot but it usually disappears once I get underway. I guess that's why my Father has so many old photos of him & his buddies standing around old cars on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Hope today is uneventful for both of you, but I am enjoying he updates.

Good Luck, Les

I guess " ignorance is bliss" because I just jump in a Buick and go! We put 4700 miles on the 69 Sport Wagon going to the BDE in Sedona without a hitch. I have put over 100,000 miles on my 40 convert, and it has never let me down yet.

I'm glad that the problems you are experiencing are all fixable, and hope to see you in Batavia. We are arriving Wednesday afternoon (hopefully)

<span style="font-weight: bold">ITS DEAD !!!!</span>

IT WILL NOT BE IN BATAVIA.

Well the car gods have been trying to tell me that I was foolish for trying to take the car to Batavia. It started when the car tried to run me over. But did I listen ??? Noooo, so it broke in Texas where I could have gotten it home easily and then it broke again the next moring... But did I listen ??? Noooo, I just kept on driving it.

So this morning we left about 6 am, it was cool and wonderful out. The car ran great, and we were enjoying the weather and the car. It is really amazing to drive an old car with the windows open for a change, for every day that it is hot, you also have morning like today where you are going through the hills of Kentucky and enjoying life.

We turned off the interstate on to one of the numerous parkways in Kentucky to cut over to Lexington. We started down this long hill and the car jumped out of gear. It had done this a time or two before so I didn't think much of it. I pushed the clutch pedal and it was like pushing a concrete block. No give no movement, no nothing. The car wouldn't go in gear and the clutch was kaput.

After calling a wrecker (sidebar here, If you dont have the Hagerty Protection network, its worth the 15 dollars on top of your insurance. They had wreckers out both times in under 30 minutes.) we put the car on the lift and had a look. The clutch arm didn't move. I dont know what happens to clutches, pressure plates and things like that,but I replaced everything when I rebuilt the engine.

So now what do I do, I am halfway (995 miles from home) to Batavia with a dead car. Thank goodness for the roster that Keith( I think) suggested to carry.

I call Doug Seybold and make arrangments to leave the car with him while we go to Batavia.

So now the car is on the back of a Uhaul (it barely fits) trailer headed for Clevland. We will rent a car there and drive to Batavia and then back home. Maybe we won't have problems with that one....

Stay tuned for further adventures.....

Bill, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but hope that the Buick will be fully repaired by Doug and that the rest of your journey to Batavia and back home is uneventful. Equally important, I hope that you are able to completely enjoy your time in Batavia -- even without the '47.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Oh Bill, I'm so sorry to hear this. You're a good man for trying though!!! Maybe you can rent you a nice new Lacrosse. Hope the rest of your trip is good.

Bill, this qualifies for the Horror story of the year award. I can't even tell my wife or the old car would probably stay home.

I hope to meet you in Batavia anyway, and we'll tip one to the ole Buick anyway.

John D

Bill:

Hang in there. I loved your story and thought you would make it. But you sure gave it a good try. Hopefully it will not cost you too much to get the car and you home or to Batavia.

FYI we drove our LaSalle across the country this summer and had very little trouble. We drove our 27 Buick to Flint for the Centennial (about 3900 miles for us) and also lucked out. These cars do better the more they are driven. But disaster is always possible. I guess we do it for the memories, and you'll have a few from your trip.

All the best, and keep these wonderful Buicks rolling.

FYI, here are two blogs from our trips:

LaSalle Trip

Buick Trip

Guest 53Nailhead

Sorry Bill, you'll have to write up the whole story for the 'Bugle' complete with pics (if you can bear to relive it). I also thouight your luck was about to change & you'd make Batavia. I'm about as ready as I'll ever be, leaving tomorrow AM hope to see you guys around 2, God willing.

Les cool.gifwink.gif

And now a picture of the rotor

buickrotor.jpg

And remember it was still running, but barely and did run enough to get off the road with the vacuum advance disconnected.

Happy and optomistic times Dixon, TN (July 4) before Bill's car 'croaked'. bva.jpg

bva5.jpg

Ah yes, happier times, I remember them......

Well we dropped the car off at Doug Seybold's today. Couldn't have met a nicer bunch of people. Took care of my care and then took me to the airport in his 41. I am happy that I dropped the car off there. I think he will fix the major dent in the fender that my butt put into it last week.

We finally made it to Buffalo and registered and in the hotel. The parking lot is filling up fast with some great looking car.

Mr. Earl, the first car my wife was impressed with was a white 54 convertible. It takes a lot to impress her and this was a great example.

Hope you are not flodding in Atlanta.

Also saw lots of early 50's and muscle cars.

Adam's Centurion made it and is on the field. Roberta drove in with a trailer and her car.

More tommorrow folks....

Guest imported_MrEarl

Yep, just as I suspected. And where were the wives while you two were out filandering around with these two little sweeties. Shame on you both.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah yes, happier times, I remember them......

Well we dropped the car off at Doug Seybold's today. Couldn't have met a nicer bunch of people. Took care of my care and then took me to the airport in his 41. I am happy that I dropped the car off there. I think he will fix the major dent in the fender that my butt put into it last week.

We finally made it to Buffalo and registered and in the hotel. The parking lot is filling up fast with some great looking car.

Mr. Earl, the first car my wife was impressed with was a white 54 convertible. It takes a lot to impress her and this was a great example.

Hope you are not flodding in Atlanta.

Also saw lots of early 50's and muscle cars.

Adam's Centurion made it and is on the field. Roberta drove in with a trailer and her car.

More tommorrow folks.... </div></div>

AIRPORT!, what happened to the rental car? Little tired of driving eh wink.gif

and apparently your wife has very good taste. I think I know the convertible you're speaking of. Original interior? it was in Plano last year...

not flooding yet, the first "wave" is suppose to come in tonight followed by more next week. I certainly hope it doesn't make it up to you all. I'm sure everyone remembers the sideways rain last year.

Can't wait to see some photos.

BTW be sure and check out the bulletin board. Let me know if there's anything interesting. wink.gif

Guest Shaffer

Hope everyone has a nice and safe trip. Sounds like some are having a grand time, while others are having more than their fair share of misfortunes. I think even with the misfortunes- everyone will still have a great time. Just think of it as an adventure.

You were only lucky to pick this time to head up through Kentucky, because up until a couple of days ago- and even well into the northeast- they have been well into the 90s with very high humidity. More rains headed up from the south- we have been in a deluge lately here in northeast Tennessee and the reminents of TS Cindy headed straight for us.

Have fun!

Airport, we went to the airport to rent a car... We then drove to Batavia and will take the rental car home.

Yes, it was the same 54 that was in Plano, we were busy working so didn't really get to look at it.

Spent the day today relaxing and driving along lake Ontario, didn't really look at cars until "Faithful Pursuit" came in after dinner.

Will spend more time looking at car tommorrow.

90's and high humidity, sounds like home. Sure is nice up here.

Now I have to get busy and fill out the paperwork for the hard luck award. I figure I have a good chance.

Bill, sorry to hear about the troubles, but your car is in good hands with Doug, Nick and Nate Seybold. It'll be better than new when you get it back. I may even make a trip out to their shop and have a look at your car in person.

Hope you enjoy the show despite this experience. I know the frustration, but it sounds like you're keeping your spirits up despite this.

Guest imported_Thriller

Our local club has a hard luck award...the "trophy" is about a 2-2.5" wrench attached to a piece of plexiglass...unfortunately, it gets awarded most years.

Guest Straight eight

Bill, I think it is the area. During the last Batavia meet, I took my 47 56C, and arrived safely, BUT ON THE WAY HOME all hell broke loose. The rear wheel bearing race moved inboard taking the seal with it. We were going around Rochester when it happened. Pulled off the e-way and into a motel parking lot. Got two rooms for the night, as my son was travelling with us. I wanted to trailer it home, but my son, said, Lets fix her right here! Well, we found a NAPA distributorship with the help of a couple of local fellows, and found three bearings on the shelf..No seals, and No races, and that was what we wanted to replace. We bought all three bearings, and some bearing lock by Locktite,. We asked them to press on the old race, and the answer was, Sorry, the machine shop closed at noon. Then they turned on the lights in the machine shop and walked away. We pressed the bearing on, put the car together, and drove home. Once home, we pulled off both races, and sealed them on with the bearing lock.The bearing grease was all washed away by the rear axle fluid, but that kept it lubed. Oh, yes, why did the race come off? When preparing for the trip, we had no press to put on the races crazy.gif, so we heated them in hot oil, and slipped them on. They held for about 400 miles on one side. The other side stayed on until we pulled it apart, and pressed a new one on with bearing lock. Moral, follow the manual, and don't take modern day chances with old time metalurgy. crazy.gif

Hope your problem is simple, and they can fix the gear jump out at the same time. smile.gif

Well we had a great time at the Nationals. Saw lots of cars and talked to lots of friends.

I thought I was a shoe in for the hard luck award but got beat out by a gentleman who tore his achilles tendon pushing his 32. He can have the award if being in wheelchair for the meet is what it takes to win it.

We are heading home today and trying to figure a route around the storm that is in the south and headed this way. Its amazing how many miles you can do in a modern car. 650 miles in just under 10 hours. I sure couldn't do that in the 47.

BTW, our friends Old-Tank got his Senior preservation award for his driver 55 Century las night and Buick5563 got his gold and Senior the first time out for his 55.

Guest my3buicks

Bill, it was great meeting you!!! I also thought you would get the hard luck award. Of course, many didn't know about the (Senior Car) GS400 Conv that hit a deer on the way up to the meet either, another one to give you a run for your money. Your hard luck was like a drama in the making chapter by chapter.

Great meet, cars and great people. And getting an award did not hurt either. By the way the preservation award I received and the new senior Mike (Buick5563) received were on cars that were <span style="font-weight: bold">driven</span>! So far 2300 miles for me. You can drive and have fun and win awards if you want. The only down side is detailing for show and unless I restore another car I will not show again...better to spend the time with people...but I will drive. Mn should be a piece of cake compared this year...may have to retire again so I will have the time to drive to Seattle.

Drive those Buicks.

Willie

Guest 53Nailhead

Congrats Willie cool.gif, & sorry Bill frown.gif, I thought you would have won. Didn't get a chance to meet either of you as I had to leave Friday afternoon due to a family emergency (everythings fine). Great meet & the Finger Lakes Chapter did an outstanding job.

Les

I guess I better report this before Bill does. My highway charger is dead (sniff...). Broken axel shaft; yep, that one inch (+) sucker broke in the middle. I thought at first it was the tranny which would be a BIG problem. Replacement parts will be here (Crescent Springs, KY) tomorrow morning, so I should be ramblin' again. We got a rent car, a Tayota Cerolla (gag) and feel like I am nearly a-foot. (preceeding words are not misspeled).

Bill went out of his way to help and lend moral support; the replacements parts are coming from Doug Siebold who sent the parts without requiring payment in advance: thanks to both...ain't this a great club with friends and selfless help.

And no, I will not give up traveling in the old iron...just may have to add axel shafts (magnafluxed) to my pile of take-along parts.

Willie

I, on the other hand, made it to Metropolis Illinois. Home of a giant Superman statue. We hit rain all day through Kentucky. Made a U turn to help Willie so the rain caught up with us. Tried to check radar at a truck stop with internet access but no luck. If I would have gone to Nashville I would have missed the rain.

But I dont like to go the same way up and back if I dont have to so I got to see some beautiful Kentucky landscape in the rain.

Doug Seybold is great to be able to call in the afternoon and get the part the next morning, what more can you say.

On to home, I hope, tommorrow.

Hi guys,

I was going to try not to post tonight out of respect for you guys still travelling, but I made it home safely. Over 3500 miles both ways. Today, I drove through the remnants of "Dennis" for over three hours. Man that is some serious white knuckle action with bias ply tires and a vacuum wiper.

My dad and I had a ball and he is already planning our next outing and trying to figure out what kind of truck is needed to haul a trailer to Seattle. grin.gif Hey...If he's buyin', I'm flyin'. Interestingly enough he mentioned that if Buick actually came out with the Velite or similar, he would join the BCA. This is coming from a relatively non car guy so it shows you how much fun he had. He couldn't see himself in an older Buick confused.gif Oh well.

I got a nice note from the Bugle asking me to write (ok, admittedly a form letter) a story for the Bugle and I think I will, but I wanted to thank Willie here first for all of his help and encouragement because without it I wouldn't have had the surprising showing in Batavia. Good luck Willie, I'll see you soon.

Mike