Running Hot!

Ted Davenport

I have not had my Reatta long - but it was running 2 bars short of the "Red Zone" yesterday....it was on a 6 hour trip in 90 Degree weather. It would be fine on the highway, but stop and go would start running hot (or idling in park). Is this normal to get that high....or should I have the fan or thermostat looked at?

I had the same problem and it was the relay controlling the "pusher fan" in front of raditor. It should be on when the air conditioner is on. Mine was very intermittent. It would be working when I looked at it, but would fail while out in traffic. The relay from GM for $14.95 fixed the problem. Only time you notice it is in stop and go traffic on a hot day.Apparently it runs cool enough without this fan at highway speeds.

Can anyone tell me just how hot is too hot?<P>I have been running about 208 degrees since I dropped in the rebuilt engine. I was told the radiator had been flushed as part of the rebuild, and I think it has a 203 degree thermostat (but I am not sure).<P>All fans work correctly.

Okay, now I feel like a real dolt! rolleyes.gif I never understood that one of the fans was supposed to be "in front of" the radiator. I thought they were supposed to be side by side and that I'd got taken. Duh?!?<BR>Ted, I have the EXACT same problem, though mine only seems to overheat when AC is on in stop & go traffic. Though, come to think of it, she did overheat when run in and out of her gears during the snowy season here. Hmmm? I'll post if find out what's going on, especially if different from the others. I have a '90, and assume you have a '90-91 too, else you'd prob know your temps. <BR>Can anyone tell us how to measure using the "bar gauge" system of the 90's?

On the '90's and newer, you have to enter diagnostics and read the coolant temperature, ED04, which reads Celsius. You then have to convert to Farenheit. If I remember right, mine is about 195-200deg.F. when the gauge is half lit(straight up). By the way, 225deg.F. is not really that hot when in stop and go traffic. If you have a conventional 50/50 antifreeze mix, you are still 30-40degF. from boiling the coolant.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

Check to see if the fans are running. It has a pusher fan in front of the radiator and a puller fan behind the radiator. If neither are running at 200 deg. or hotter, check the relays located under the bar next to the washer container on the drivers side of the car.

There are lots of functions available in diagnostic mode, too many to go into here, but to enter: with the key on (engine running or not), press and hold: off and temp.up buttons at the same time on the climate control, after a moment all IPC lights should activate; the display where the odometer reads will change to read any stored codes, it will cycle through these and stop at Ec?, press fan up on climate control and display will read dAtA Ec?, press fan up and reading will go to ED01 (throttle position sensor), press fan up and read ED04 (coolant temperature), this reads in degrees celsius. You can move forward and backward using fan up or fan down. You can try anything you want without doing any harm. To exit diagnostics, press bi-level or turn key off. You really need a manual to take advantage of all the information the car can provide.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

Call Helms direct if you need a new one or look at some of the other posts that have listed used ones from time to time. I believe there was also another source mentioned on this forum and maybe they will chime in with the address.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

Guest Jack91

Had good luck with Dan Bower atwww.factoryautomanuals.com;fon no 1-877-505-7842.Ijust bought a mint 91 factory manual a month ago.