Oil pressure with engine off !!

Just a silly thing but I happened to turn my switch on the other day and hit "guages" button on my computer screen (1989). The oil pressure digital read out was 7 PSI. The RPMs were Zero as expected, the voltage was 11.9 and temp was cold. I decided to check my other Reatta and by golly the same thing...Oil pressure read 5 PSI . I started it and drove a short distance. Came back with engine slightly warm and cut it off for 5 minutes. Then with switch on, the digital read out was 7-9 PSI. Was wondering if this is normal on all 88-89 Reattas?

'Never paid attention to it before. 'Had to run down to my garage and find out. The gage on my '89 reads 7 psi with the engine off (it's been idle for more than 2 days).<BR>I doubt if it's accurate in that state. There's nothing in the system that would store that much residual pressure.

I laughed when I realized you were the same guy who would put a 5 year old girl at great risk riding on someones lap in the front seat. I don't believe single digit psi readings are that of the last recorded oil pressure...D....regards.....Dan

Dan, in Maryland, it's actually the only legal way to transport a 5yr old child in a two seat vehicle occupied by two adults. Stupid? Yes! But sticking her in the rear of the vehicle, without a "properly equipped rear seat" will land you a $270 ticket and possibly a suspension hearing, so you do what you're supposed to do and pray for the best.<BR>Also understand that though with an adult in the front passenger side seat, any child from 3-5yrs of age must also be secured facing forward and restrained by the vehicles seat belt. Any child below 3yrs of age must be rear facing and restrained properly; and in either case, there must NOT be a passenger side SIR system installed in the vehicle, or it must be deactivated. It's always good to know the laws one must abide by before "laughing" at them for the actions they take.<BR>As for the oil pressure, I have a '90, thus, I don't have this problem. I thought it was a logical question. But since you seem to know what this reading is not, perhaps you could enlighten us on what it IS. I'm sure everyone here would benefit from the depth of your knowledge and expertise. grin.gif Thanks.

At least we both agree it is stupid.....legal or not. As far as the psi....i really haven't a clue. i just assumed it is some fluke, but after giving it more thought, you may in fact be correct. At first i thought you meant all of us had oil pump problems, but if you meant that it is the last reading recorded at the split second the computer cuts out.....that i would probably agree with. I don't know a whole lot about these cars, and practically nothing about the 90's or 91's. I do appreciate the help i have recieved from this discussion group, i think it is a great forum, and it is one of the many great benefits of owning such a unique car. I am parting with my Reatta for a new Beemer(two wheeled variety). Last of all, I am sorry for offending you, I see you have made many posts to this forum, and therefore, have probably helped many people like myself. I hope you accept my apology......Dan

All's kool! grin.gif No offense kept. Sorry for the blow-off. I didn't know if you were sincere, or just trying to be a wise***. Too many of them here by far, in my opinion. <BR>We're here to help each other and can only inquire and learn. That's what it's all about, and none of us are perfect or all knowing. So, I just aired a bit, just in case. Shouldn't have. Sorry again and apology happily accepted. smile.gif LOL to all.