Long Crank time on Reatta

<BR>I have owned a 1989 Reatta for 10 years now. The car has 78K miles. It had always started with one short crank until recently when it stopped starting completely. After grinding seveal long (15-30 seconds) times I gave up and had the car towed to a Buick Dealer. He replaced the fuel pump and now the car starts. But here is the problem. It now takes several seconds of cranking to start, or a short crank, then a second crank on which it starts...it always starts on that second crank......I took it back and the dealer replaced the fuel pump control relay today...nothing changed..still long cranking...I complained and now they are suggesting replacing the computer control...of course, I said no. There are no codes being displayed...I have given up on this Buick Dealer...any ideas from you folks is surely appreciated. I do have another 89 Reatta so I can swap some parts, but I don't know where to start....Thanks

TRY FUEL PRESSURE CONTROL SWITCH WHICH COSTS ABOUT $30 AND IS LOCATED ON TOP OF ENGINE. FIXED MY LOW MILEAGE 91 WITH SUCH A PROBLEM. HARD TO DIAGNOSE BUT EASY TO FIX><P>BOB

If you have, borrow or buy a fuel pressure gauge, you can diagnose a lot of the fuel system yourself. The pressure tap is right on the top front of the engine, right next to the fuel pressure regulator. When the key is turned on, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds, this is controlled by the computer. When the engine is cranked, the oil pressure switch takes over the running of the fuel pump, and is what supplies the fuel pump with power. If the fuel pressure does not jump up to over 40 psi when the key is turned on, the computer or wiring to the relay may indeed be bad.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

I have a 1990 Riv and Reatta, my riv had this same problem and I spent about $ 1,000 at the dealer. They replaced the coil pack, wires, plugs,E-Prom, fule pump and some other parts, and did not correct the problem. My local mechanis and I in the passanger seat doing the onboard computure diagnostic mode check found the spark retard incorrect. He looked at the Ignition Control Module and found that it had turned the epoxy to a soft sticky gue. He replaced the ICM and it starts just like the Reatta, just a quick turn of the key and it starts. I also checked the Reatta ICM and found it to be in the same condition and I replaced it also. Remove the coil pack and take look, it should be clean hard epxoy. If not replace it, I used ones from NAPA, they were a littel thicker and may be better.<BR>If this is the problem please post the results. Good Luck<BR>Gary Frank

I have a 1989 Reatta with the same problem. Where is ICM located in the car and is it hard to change the part out. I found the part at AutoZone for $128, is this a good price. Thanks.