car not re-starting after short trip

my 90 reatta will not re-start after driving about 45-60 mins. eng not running hot. lifting hood for about 30-35 mins solves the problem and i can drive home, altho last night it left me stranded on the interstate about a mile from home. is this indicative of a computer going bad? only recently started this dumb dirtyword aggravating habit. also i am the one without power brakes. i need advice/help please. G&U

It sounds like a problem I had last year when my crank sensor went bad. It would stall on the highway and not start for quite awhile until it cooled sufficiently. There was another poster a few days ago who had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Both are relatively inexpensive parts, but difficult to replace (the fuel pump is in the tank, and you have to remove alot of the stuff in the serpentine loop to replace the crank sensor).<P>As for the loss of your brakes, it might be the accumulator, which is about $150 and not much more difficult than replacing a lightbulb. You may also have a defective pump, or master cylinder. I posted here a few days ago about a guy in Florida who was able to get remanufactured ABS pumps and master cylinders for $750 (as opposed to 3K from the dealer for a new one). If you can't find the post, post back here and I'll repost it for you. <P>I wish you luck, looks like you got alot of work to do on your ride. <p>[This message has been edited by wheresjim (edited 07-17-2000).]

[ thanks for comeback. i had my harmonic balancer replace on 31 aug 99. and replaced my fuel pump (in gas tank of course) on 09dec99. if i raise my hood and allow the eng compartment to cool down, the dumb dirtyword car starts right up. my Russian wife says hello. thanks. G&UQUOTE]Originally posted by wheresjim:<BR>[thankounds like a problem I had last year when my crank sensor went bad. It would stall on the highway and not start for quite awhile until it cooled sufficiently. There was another poster a few days ago who had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the fuel pump. Both are relatively inexpensive parts, but difficult to replace (the fuel pump is in the tank, and you have to remove alot of the stuff in the serpentine loop to replace the crank sensor).<P>As for the loss of your brakes, it might be the accumulator, which is about $150 and not much more difficult than replacing a lightbulb. You may also have a defective pump, or master cylinder. I posted here a few days ago about a guy in Florida who was able to get remanufactured ABS pumps and master cylinders for $750 (as opposed to 3K from the dealer for a new one). If you can't find the post, post back here and I'll repost it for you. <P>I wish you luck, looks like you got alot of work to do on your ride. <P>[This message has been edited by wheresjim (edited 07-17-2000).]<P>

Your problem of not starting when hot is almost exactly like my recent experience with my 89 Reatta. Folks on this site kept tell me it was the sensor or something electronic. To me it seemed to be starving for fuel after it set several minutes after it got hot from driving. Since I had the "in tank" fuel pump replace about 2 years ago I didn't think that was the problem.<BR>It turned out to by the fuel pump after all,and my local Buick dealer says this is not uncommon at all it the replace fuel pump was aftermarket and not Delco. Turns out that was the case for me. Buick dealers says the aftermarket fuel pumps last 1-2 years in Buicks of the early 90's..I'm just repeating his words....Good luck and let us know when you find the problem.