cupholder ideas?

The person who owned my Reatta before me had a great idea. He bought these foam type cup holder bases & stuck them to the inside of the glove box door. They expand to fit any cup & are quite sturdy. All I have to do is open the glove box & Voila!, I have cup holders.

That's a new one! By foam, do you mean styrofoam or is this something more lasting like the foam you see in those soda can "huggies?"<P>

They're not styrofoam. They're this grey heavy duty stuff, kinda like beer can cooler cups. I have 2 mounted on the glove box door. They work great. They even soak the condensation from the sides of cold drinks.

I'm having problems submitting my reply, it keeps forgeting to post it...<P>They cup holders I have are the "huggie" type. They even soak up condensation from cold drinks!

I permanently modified the ashtray/lighter compartment to create a very nice hidden cupholder. The bottom of the cupholder sits about 2" below the console which is a plus. It holds cans nicely and up to about a medium soda cup. This is only for diehards willing to invest a little time and deface the car a little. I have only seen 90/91 interiors so I don't know if this would apply to 88/89. Summary of mods: Remove the ashtray tub and cut out some of the plastic with a hole saw just down to the level of the trim screw under the ash tray. Make a metal plate with a large round hole (cut with same hole saw as above) to fit in the compartment at the level where the top of the ashtray tub was. Fit a cup holder adapter (I found one at Pep Boys) in the hole to finish off the opening and catch spills or bits from falling inside the console. The final touch was to re-install the lighter inside the console for a cell phone plug. This keeps the phone completely out of sight.<BR>This project requires about the same skill as installing custom stereo equipment. I would think a stereo installation shop could do it if you're reluctant to cut plastic and metal. I removed the top console piece from the car which made cutting if fairly easy. The plate was about 1/16" thick aluminum and the large hole was cut using a drill press. I wouldn't recommend using a hand drill. A scroll saw might do. Make a matte board or platic template first.

I found an adjustable cup holder at Target that uses double-sided tape. I mounted it on the door panel in front of the seat controls. It works great with pop cans but disposable coffee cups from the gas station are a little too wide at the top and hit the side of the dash.

I am in the process of purchasing a Reatta. grin.gif Remember me? Check my other entries. tongue.gif<BR>Anyway, the car has a cupholder standard. I didn't know it wasn't standard. I don't have the car yet so I can't give you any details, but what I do remember is that it is fully adjustable and it sits on the console right in front of the arm rest. It's very very convenient.<P>I'll give you more information when I have it.

If your car is an 89 the cupholder definately was not standard equip. If it looks like it is, somebody did a great job installing it. After you get the car, I hope you will share all the details with us. I would sure like to have a cupholder on my 89. I have tried numerous other ideas from these posts but have yet to find one that I am satisfied with.

Guest Stan Leslie

The 91 models (and the 90 Select Sixty models) had a standard cup holder in the console, which slides out from the front. The 90 could be retrofitted with a 91 console cover. The 88 and 89 would be out of luck.