a/c compressor

harry yarnell

As a mechanic, I would strongly advise against using a used A/C compressor. They're are about three different types of DA6 or HR6 compressors used on GM products of the period and one could easily be found (orientation of the mounting ears is the key), however as unreliable as these pumps are, you're better investing in a rebuilt. I just put a rebuilt into my wife's Riv and converted to R134, works great. <BR>A hint, remove the ignition coils and radiator to ease installation of the compressor.

Even with a rebuilt one you are taking your chances (I bought a rebuilt from Factory Air in Texas, and it seized within a month, costing $400+ to fix, though they only reimbursed $215!). I suggest biting the bullet and getting a Delco Reman unit, since they are covered by a lifetime warranty.

has anyone had to replace an a/c compressor and used one from a junk yard. I need to know if a compressor is interchangeable with other gm products as long as it mounts on a 3.8 engine. thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I had my mechanic replace my compressor with one from as junk yard. It works fine, but he had a hard time finding oen to fit my car because mine is an 89 and it seems like this model year is different from all the others. He finally got one off of a Rivera. The part only cost me $50 that way. It seems mine had run out of lubricating oil. Good luck.