STOLEN REATTA

JUST HAD MY `90 REATTA STOLEN ON JULY 4TH.<BR>WHITE W/WHITE WHEELS AND WHITE TRIM.<BR>PWR SEATS AND SUNROOF. SOUTH CAROLINA.<BR>IT NORMALLY IS KEPT IN CARPORT, BUT THIS<BR>NIGHT WAS NOT. JUST THOUGHT I`D PASS THIS<BR>ALONG.

I'm so sorry this happened. I'm shocked that anyone would steal one of these cars, not because they aren't valuable, but because they just wouldn't seem to be easy to off-load somewhere. Given that, I wonder if the police suspect this is kids joy-riding or something? You may get your baby back after they run out of gas or something. Good luck and let us know what happens.<P>

Damn, that's a tough one. Unfortunately that is the state of the world we live in. I've had stereo's ripped off and I now how violated i felt afterwards. The shame of it is you can't have anything nice these days because there is allways some scumbag out there who does'nt want to work for anything, but would rather steal it. Belive it or not, most of the compliments I have recived about my car have come from young guys (late teen early twenties) When all my hubcap covers came up missing last summer, it made me extremely angry. Sorry about your loss, and I hope they catch the bastards.

It sure is nice to live in a world where people can't mind thier own damn business and have to mess around with other people's things. I guess this shows how great the GM "passkey" works. I suggest anyone who lives in a higher crime area, or anyone who does not want thier prized possession to disappear, to invest in a GOOD alarm system. Obvoiusly the one Buick provided us with is not the answer. Good luck in finding the squids that took your car, I hope they swing by thier toenails.

I also live in S.C. I was coming back from Nashville on the 6th of July, about 7pm. I am sure I saw a white reatta going across the I26 overpass. I'm not sure exactly where but I remember thinking, cool!! Of course that would be the third reatta I have seen in S.C. Unless yours was the one I see around the Sumter area. Anyway, I saw the Reatta some where West of Spartanburg. I hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crawdaddyus:<BR><B>I also live in S.C. I was coming back from Nashville on the 6th of July, about 7pm. I am sure I saw a white reatta going across the I26 overpass. I'm not sure exactly where but I remember thinking, cool!! Of course that would be the third reatta I have seen in S.C. Unless yours was the one I see around the Sumter area. Anyway, I saw the Reatta some where West of Spartanburg. I hope this helps.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>DID YOU NOTICE IF IT ALSO HAD WHITE WHEELS AND WHITE TRIM? IF IT DID IT MAY HAVE HAVE <BR>BEEN MINE. THANKS, I`D LOVE TO GET IT BACK.<BR>(IN ONE PEICE )!

I really couldn't tell from a distance. It did look like it had white wheels, but I couldn't be sure. I was going kind of fast, a Reatta habit I have to break. I saw it between Blueridge and Spartenburg.

This may be the dumbest question one could possibly think of, but really, HOW HARD IS IT TO FIND ONE OF THESE CARS? These are not Camaros or Corvettes. They're also not dime-a-dozen Corsicas are SUV's. You really have to try hard to miss them!! Just how sorry are those cops!<P>Oh, and as far as alarms go, one word (and really the only word any of us need to hear when it comes to alarm systems)...<P>LOWJACK!!!<P>IF it works for the police...<BR>LOL all.

• 2 weeks later...

WELL, IT WAS FOUND ABANDONED IN ANOTHER STATE. SUNROOF DAMAGE FOR SURE, MOTOR MAY<BR>BE RUINED. BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE, THE PERSON<BR>WHO STOLE CAR IS KNOWN!!!

A predictable outcome. Don't let the insurance "total" your car unless you KNOW for sure you can get one at the same price that is as good or better. If I had a second chance, I'd look at that convertible '90 for $12.5!!! What a beauty and the color I liked too (Burgundy). Sweet!<P>Well anyway, I'm glad they found it. Hope they caught up to the creep who stole it. He should get extra time in prison for stealing a Reatta. There oughta be a law!<BR>

Coopedup,<P>You may have an opportunity on your hands. If the motor was ruined, and you had full coverage on the car, I highly recommend getting a GM Goodwrench 3.8L motor installed in your car by your insurance company. While the engine is out, consider a GM rebuilt transmission as well. That way, you have a powertrain with a 3 year 50,000 mile GM warranty. <P>If the insurance company balks at the repairs and tries to total the car, use the values in the CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) or NADA Older cars book. The books should be available at your credit union or bank. Otherwise, your insurance company, like mine (USAA) tried to do when totalling my '72 Chevy El Camino SS, may use a pricing service that just low balls the daylights out of the real value of your car. Don't settle for a low ball figure and end up giving your car away!!<P>After the scumbag is arrested, be sure and let the prosecuting attorney know of the cost of repairs on your car, and if found guilty, petition the judge to have the thief repay the cost of repairs. <P>I do have a favor to ask--if possible, find out from the police how the thief stole the car while bypassing the PASSKEY ignition and factory alarm. I'd like to know how easily these systems can be bypassed. <P>Good luck with the repairs!

Glad to hear you have your car back......<BR>Can you tell me more about a '90 with white wheels? Are they the '91 style, aftermarket or painted '88-'90 style? Do we have your car on the database? Send me the colors (white outside), what color inside? sunroof, CD,16 way seat? Also need VIN as cars are listed in build sequence.<P><P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.