Little things that will cost you.

Personally, I'd like to see allowances made for items/devices that make the car road legal, such as period-correct license plate holders on brass or nickel era vehicles. It's a pain to have to take these things off (or to be able to remember to) before showing the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread Shop Rat. I guess I will remove my new license plate frame. "Original ones" don't seem to be falling from the sky. I have a single badge on the grille from a european touring club. Clearly not factory but a very fine enamel badge. Should I just take it off?

Jaxops,

Sorry, just saw this one....

If you leave a club badge on, it will not gain you any points. It could possibly lose you points if it is not in perfect condition. If you take it off, (unless it is hiding a grill imperfection) you can't lose any points on it. I would probably take it off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaxops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Great thread Shop Rat. I guess I will remove my new license plate frame. "Original ones" don't seem to be falling from the sky. I have a single badge on the grille from a european touring club. Clearly not factory but a very fine enamel badge. Should I just take it off? </div></div>

Thanks jaxops. smile.gif

I started this thread to help people new to showing learn how to avoid giving points away. It seems like the fair and right thing to do.

As far as your badge goes here is the rule according to the Offical Judging Manual.

"Badge Display

a. Badges and license plate frames with club names other than AACA will NOT be subject to a deduction for authenticity, if they are appropriate to the vehicle and displayed in good taste. They will be judged for condition.

b. Excessive display of club badges will result in a total deduction of not more than two points.

c. Non-authentic license plate frames and advertising badges are not acceptable, regardless of the number or manner in which they are displayed."

MCHinson gave you good advice. If the badge could have points taken off for condition, you are better off to remove it.

By removing the non-authentic frame you saved yourself one point deduction. You might just need that point to make the spread.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ted sweet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are current issued license plates an issue? </div></div>

My understanding is that state issued license plates are not an issue; however, I have always had the opinion that if it isn't there it can't be held against you

No, current issue license plates are not an issue, but they should be in good condition or you could lose a point or two if it is in bad shape.

In additon the plates should match front and rear. Some states like where I live only have a plate on the rear of the vehicle now. But some folks have put an out of state, out of date plate on the front. Usually because they moved here from somewhere else. (For the record that is illegal but people still do it.)

Our state, as well as some others, alllow year of manufacture plates to be used. All you have to do is register them with the DMV. We have a set of 1939 plates for our 1939 Dodge. And a 1963 W. Va. Centennial plate that will go on our 1963-1/2 Falcon Sprint convertible when it is finished.

if it is the current tag i'd say no. if it is the one issued you by the state, the state mandates you have it displayed, you as the owner can't do a whole lot about it's condition. (other than get new tag from DMV)

if you are running a YOM tag like I am (in NC we can register the car with antique auto tags, throw the DVM tagunder the seat and run the YOF) in this case I would say yes because as the YOF you can restore, replace the tag so it is in excellent condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... throw the DVM tagunder the seat... </div></div>

Better yet, put it with the rest of the items that are removed from the vehile for showing. That way there isn't a risk for a deduction when it is seen by the interior judge. Don't give that deduction away. It just might put the vehicle outside of the point spread of the award you are going for. cry.gif And nobody wants that. smile.gif

1. it is so far under the set the interior judge would have to be in the car to see it. not much room between seat and floor.

2. HPOF car. But yeah, if it was in a judged class, it would be advisable to remove it from the car.

3. it is splitting hairs but the law does require it to be in the vehicle, so I would consider it the same as the tag being mounted to the bumper.

Section 1. G. S. 20-63 (d) "Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">within the vehicle</span></span> and produced upon the request of any person."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. it is so far under the set the interior judge would have to be in the car to see it. not much room between seat and floor.

2. HPOF car. But yeah, if it was in a judged class, it would be advisable to remove it from the car.</div></div>

In the case of an HPOF vehicle it wouldn't matter since it is not a judged class. Ted Sweet didn't say if the vehicle he is talking about is HPOF or in a judged class. Either way the owner can't go wrong not leaving it in the vehicle. If it is not there it can't be deducted for. wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3. it is splitting hairs but the law does require it to be in the vehicle, so I would consider it the same as the tag being mounted to the bumper. </div></div>

Well, not when it is on the show field. A loose plate in a vehicle is no different than leaving a folding chair in the trunk or a trophy sitting on the seat. My point is why risk even one point deduction when it can put the vehicle outside of the point spread? In my opinion it just is not worth the risk since it is off of the bumper anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Section 1. G. S. 20-63 (d) "Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">within the vehicle</span></span> and produced upon the request of any person." </div></div>

I take it that is the law in N.C. where you live right? In W. Va. we just have to register the YOM plate and we get a registration card with that on it. We don't have to carry a modern plate too.