ABS Accumulator

I need to get this straight: which exactly is the accumulator, and which is the "sphere"? Is it the ball as big as a small fist sitting next to the brake fluid reservoir? Is the "sphere" and the accumulator the same thing? Or is the sphere inside the accumulator?

Guest rong

Nick.....The accumulator is the sphere. It contains a bladder that is pressurized on one side to help the power boost. If you loose that pressure (cracked bladder), the brakes DON'T work! I have recently changed it out. The only thing to remember is to de-pressurize your system before removing the sphere. It is simply screwed into the housing below it. All I did was carefully remove the existing unit and replace it with a new one ($149). My brakes returned to normal operation and the ABS works perfectly! Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

query to rong. i own a 90 reatta and my power brakes went out, still have "manual" with a bit of pressure...replaced pump motor relay, no joy. checked all fuses front rear middle and relays. still no power brakes. would it be the accumulator i need to replace or the pump motor or booster? thanks. G&UQUOTE]Originally posted by rong:<BR><B>Nick.....The accumulator is the sphere. It contains a bladder that is pressurized on one side to help the power boost. If you loose that pressure (cracked bladder), the brakes DON'T work! I have recently changed it out. The only thing to remember is to de-pressurize your system before removing the sphere. It is simply screwed into the housing below it. All I did was carefully remove the existing unit and replace it with a new one ($149). My brakes returned to normal operation and the ABS works perfectly! Good Luck.</B><P>

grouchy..etc.......I can't tell from the description, but it could very possible be the accumulator. Let me know your exact symptoms and I will try to evaluate. The Teves system is 'different'. There is a recall effort ongoing with NTSA and GM. You can catch up on that effort on this site.