headliner

Has anyone had a problem with the headliner material coming loose from the panel and sagging down? If so what is the fix?

Fixes are:<P>1) Do it yourself. Get the correct 3M glue (spray) and stick re-glue the thing. Doesn't work well for most of us because the backing material has deteriorated. Some on this board have had good results though.<P>2) Do it yourself 2: Purchase headliner material (many fabric stores carry it cheap) and be patient with getting all the parts off the interior then glue & trim new material.<P>3) Have someone do it. The going price in Florida is around $75 - $150. Get a recommendation from the dealership as to who they use and then pick up your car at the end of the day. There are some lousy jobs out there by so called professionals, so it's best to go to someone who comes recommended.<P>If you smoke, don't do it in your car. Cigarette smoke destroys the glue (or is it the backing) that holds the headliner up. It should last a long time if you don't smoke.<BR>

My headliner on my sun roof is coming off too. I don't smoke, but I think the hot sun has made the soft foam between the material and the hard surface deteriorate. I will be having mine re-done professionally this Automn when it cools down...besides, I have a headlight pop-up problem that just cropped up yesterday that over-rides everything else!<BR>I still love the car - I'll keep it a long time.<BR>Jim Houston<BR>Charleston, SC

Headliners are a problem in hot climates (Florida and SW). The material is a clothwith a foam backing. The foam is what is glued to the roof or roof shell. Over time the foam deteriorates and the cloth falls away. Trying to shoot glue under the cloth is the worst thing you can do from a restoration standpoint. If it is just starting to come apart, the original headliner can be removed fairly easily and replaced to appear like new. If there is glue holding the cloth to the shell or roof, the job becomed much more complex and costly. Almost any headliner can be redone fo less than $100. Just do it!