ABS

I have seen several posts on the ABS. But I have not seen one like mine. I took the car in to the dealer, I had trusted them since last year the ABS light came on and the had the car up and running in 3 hours. New accumulator. Well the light starting coming on again. But not all the time, until a couple of months ago. The brakes worked fine but no ABS. I took it back to the dealer, they said it needed and new reservior and a relay. The computer was comming up with low pressure, but they said this was the problem. Well they put in the parts and now the brakes weren't working hardly at all, like some of the posts. The pedal was hard and hardly any braking. I tested it myself. I didn't want to spend any more money, but I could'nt drive the car in that condition. So I let them keep it(no choice), they then said it was the EBCM(ABS Module). So they replaced that. I picked up the car Friday and didn't make it home before the Brake,ABS and Computer came on with low pressure in the ABS. Minimal brakes, I was only a block from home. Car is now being towed back to dealer. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is. Before I spend a fortune on diagostics. I am in for $1000 already. I realy haven't had much other problems with the car other than this. BTW- car will be for sale after this. I want a Grand National, this was just bad timming. My car is an 89 with 83,000 miles. Silver with Gray interior. It will have all new brake stuff. So who gets this car shouldn't worry for another 10 years.

First I would reevaluate my confidence in the dealers ability to diagnose and fix the problem. After replacing the reservior and relay, hopefully they bled the brakes. Not sure how a reservior could affect braking unless it didn't hold fluid.<BR>When you say the brakes worked fine but no ABS is that actual operation or based on the ABS light being on?<BR>Remember... the dealer had the car to evaluate, we are doing it long distance with looking at the car. MUST have good information. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta technical advisor for BCA and keeper of the Reatta database.

Actually, if this is through a dealer, you have gotten off lightly in terms of repair cost so far! I was quoted practically $3000 for the total repair of my similarly screwed up brake system and it sounds like you've actually replaced everything they told me might account for the FULL price if the whole system was completely shot (including the computer module). So, my question is, did they actually replace everything? Maybe you didn't get a new pump (that's supposedly a $400 part)? Is there any chance you need that new block thingy that other people posted about in some earlier threads? Maybe you have a clog there like they did to get the lock-up and pulling to one side?<P>Anyway, please keep us posted as to what you find out when this is finally fixed. Your case sounds similar to mine. Especially the painful decision to sell the car because the repairs were too expensive and because you lost confidence in the vehicle.<P>I personally will never own another GM product because of the way the brakes failed on my Reatta. Any company that could engineer that kind of failure into a cruical safety system will never get my business again. I feel like they let me down big time.<P>

It sounds like you're being ripped off.<BR>Components like the Accumulator and Relay are easy to diagnose.<BR>Sounds like they were guessing when they replaced the EBCM.<BR>The reservoir? No way!<BR>Like Barney comments, you haven't provided enough information to accurately diagnose via this discussion - <BR>Do you actually have ABS (inspite of the indicator)?<BR>Do you hear the pump come on (sounds like your windshield washer motor) when the ABS pressure is low?<BR>Does the pump stop (after about 40 secs. if car has sat for a while) when the ABS hydraulic system achieves pressure?<BR>With the Key turned "OFF" is there residual pressure in the system; does the brake pedal seem to "stiffen" after several pushes?<BR>How much do you want for the car?

Just got a call from the dealer. They found a loose wire. They will test drive the car and turn it back to me if there is no further problem. The price on the car is $6500. You can E-mail me at raczg@home.com if you have further questions about purchasing or want pictures.

The ABS did not function with the light on. This was from actual testing. The car would skid. Presure was normal and braking ability was normal. I also have a feeling they bled the brakes improperly.

Well the dealer called again today. They have been testing the car and everything is fine. I asked to be shown the wires that caused the problem and was told. "Well we pulled about 30 of them and reconected them. So we don't know what fixed it." Yeah right, more likely they missed something and don't want to admit they let the car out with this problem. I can pick the car up tommarow. They test drove it now for 2 days. I think they like the car, never heard of anyone test driving a car for 2 full days.

Reatta info, I got the computer from Speedway Automotive. I think they are <A HREF="http://www.thebuickplace.com." TARGET=_blank>www.thebuickplace.com.</A> They have 30 Reatta's in their yard. So if you need a part try these guys. Here are some prices. The EBCM cost $375, the ECM is $275. The dealer did work with me on leting me get a used computer for the car since the new one was over $1000.

Look, the Reatta is a great car to drive, but as touchy as a Jag (I know I've owned both). I have spent a bunch trying to get the darn ABS light on the dash to go out (even though no codes show up, and no disconnecting the battery doesn't help). Also, the AC is a pain in the neck. I've replaced the whole system, and it still shuts down. The car is a turkey, and is reflective of the corporation!

Sounds like you're living a nightmare.<BR>It is difficult to find a reputable automotive repair facility for any car for any problem. I can tell you stories of follow-up problems on repairs as simple as an oil change. If there's any advice that I can offer that would circumvent these leeches please ask.<BR>I wish you the best on this endeavor.<BR>Rick<BR>

Well, got the car back today. The brakes are working great. No problems, made it to and from work. I noticed that some of you guys asked about the reservoir. I asked the dealer and he said that one of the codes showed it was bad. I realy hope there is a code for this. I checked my computer for codes and it had a ton in the BCM. It started at 334-337 and had a 348? I reset the codes so that I can see if any new ones come up in the next day or two. Now that I drove it, I am thinking of not selling it. I am driving my wife crazy.

• 3 months later...