Price to replace struts?

Is an $1100.00 estimate to replace the struts on all four wheels and do an alignment reasonable? I'm in Sunnyvale, CA, area code 408 if anyone has a recommendation for a better place to have this work done.<P>Thanks,<P>Mike

Lets do the math..... Struts cost between $50 and $100 each depending on the brand. I can get a 4 wheel, lifetime alignment for $65.<BR>Lets round all that to $500,(this could be as low as $265) that leaves $600 for labor (overhead, shop rags, etc).<BR>If the shop charges $60 an hour, they are charging 10 hours labor for a job that can be done in 4 hours.<P>I would look for another shop.<P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta division technical advisor and keeper of the Reatta database.

Just had my front struts replaced <BR>today at Sears....$60.00 each, +13.00 <BR>each to install. Alignment was <BR>$46.00. BUT Sears can't/won't order <BR>the rear struts, though, nor will <BR>they install the ones i personally <BR>bought from the parts store for <BR>$57.00 each. So, i will seek out an <BR>indie garageman to install the <BR>rears.....hey, a while back i recall <BR>a post about the rear struts being a <BR>tricky, labor-intensive job....and <BR>the Sears guy snidely said he was <BR>glad he isn't allowed to do install <BR>my parts-store struts...but i can't <BR>find that post now....can anbody <BR>help? Barney?<P>thanks in advance<P>Bill Gruber

Mike. Having replaced all four struts and having an honest 4 wheel alignment done after installation and using very good struts the total cost was like $628.00 Be very careful with who you do business with, Mine were done by a Goodyear shop.and the ride is once again factory good, to perfect.

The rear strut seems even easier than the front, I don't understand the problem....From the '90 service manual, in my words.<BR>1. Raise car.<BR>2. Remove wheel, install 2 lug nuts to hold rotor in place.<BR>3. Remove sway bar bolt.<BR>4. Loosen knuckle bolt (knuckle is rear wheel casting asm)<BR>5. support control arm to slightly compress spring. <BR>6. remove upper strut hardware (about like a shock)<BR>7. compress strut until free of upper mount. <BR>8. Remove strut from knuckle. <BR>COMMENTS... the bottom of the strut is round and goes into a hole in the knuckle. If you live in an area or salt and rust, this may cause the removal to be more difficult because of rust and corrosion. <BR>9. Reverse procedure to assemble (rear alignment should be affected very little, if any)<P>If you have a manual it is 3D-5 (good picture) in a '90 manual. If you have a manual and scanner, you could share the exploded view with others. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta division technical advisor and keeper of the Reatta database.

• 5 months later...

--Having all four replaced next week. I've been going to the same machanic for years [10]. My Reatta is the only one he's ever worked on. So if I can help him and myself out it would be great. Would someone explain to me about this "special tool" to get the rear stuts off. What, Where, how much etc. Do you really need it?--Thanks

Guest jim_houston

The 5-600 price tag sounds right if you go to someone like Hank and I did (GoodYear). With that price, you get a lifetime guarantee. I also bought 4 new Regatta GoodYear tires and between the tires, struts and 4-wheel alignment I paid around $1,200.00. My car rides like a new one. I did have one blown strut, but we have a lot of RR track crossings here in Charleston, that probably had something to do with it, I am very careful about where and how I drive the Reatta. I was very surprised to hear that I had a blown rear strut. Big difference rounding corners with new struts.<BR>So, in this case, I probably could have gotten a better deal price-wise, but I'm happy with the life-time guarantee, and happy with the performance of the GY struts.<BR>Good Luck! Jim Houston