Cupholder for Reatta

Barney Eaton

Here are a couple of ideas for those of you looking for a cupholder. Both Wal-Mart and Target (here in central Texas) carry an adjustable drink holder, brand name WIZARD.<BR>The model number above the UBC is 5519 and are available in several colors. This thing is adjustable up to a 64oz drink. I opened the ash tray door and put the adjustable clamping grippers into that opening. The price is about $5.99.... Another option if you have some basic wood skills, make a wooden plug that will go into the ash tray hole, snug fit. then screw a cup holder to that plug. If you get a good fit in the ashtray, the thing will not fall over and is easily removable.

For anyone thinking of buying the cupholder assembly and installing it, don't waste your time! I ordered the assembly and then had to buy a new armrest cover plate after. The dealers aren't sure what to sell you, and anyway these parts are all but gone now! I could only get one in blue and painted it tan. They are a pain in the butt to work with, you need to cut your armrest to install it, and it isn't even worth much when you are done! It is a spring-loaded holder that pops out from the front of the armrest, and can be a pain as well. It only works on the '90 Reatta as it came on the '91. The '88s and '89s had a different armrest.<P>And...besides much time, the damn thing cost me close to $60! It holds a big 20 oz cup! Or the new 32 oz with the recessed bottom. Yeah!

I built a cupholder many moons ago for my 88 as follows:<P>I took a sheet of clear plexiglass (approx 3 inches wide and 6 inches long), heated and bent into a "U" shape that fit snugly over the ash tray area of the center console. On top of that I heated and bent a Plexiglass loop using my favorite travel cup as a guide. I then glued the loop onto the upside down "U" and added a cork liner. The holder fits well, does not slide or tip, yet is easy to lift off to access the ashtray (changeholder). I have used it for ten years and it does not damage the side plastic of the console. It does come close to interfering with the mirror controls so the width of the plexiglass must be kept to a minumum. Total cost, under $10. Time to assemble, 2 hours of plastic work, two days to negotiate use of my wifes oven to melt plastic in.

Thanks Barney,<BR>The adjustable cup holder seems to fit o.k. so far. I had to switch to a different K-State Wildcat cup than I had been using. It is a 20oz. rather than the 16oz that I had been using. I have been using it with a cup holder that I just had it sitting on my passenger seat. Needless to say that it has caused me some anguish over the years when it toppled over during sharp braking or deep swerves. The 20 oz. tapers at the bottom so it allows the holder to close enough so that it does not firm against the arm rest I found it here in Walmart in Kansas. It is a Wizard adjustable drinkholder,however the model# on this one reads "05539 Gray". Now I must find a place for my garage door opener. I've been using my ashtray for it ever since I broke the clip on it trying to fit it over that thick sun visor. This is my first day with the cup holder, let you know if I run into any problems.<BR>Joe <BR>

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite cup holder - the one that came with the car... I frequently have a can of soda or drink from a fast food restaurant with me & find that it fits perfectly in that little space between me, the drivers seat & the seat belt - only goes where I want it to & never spills 8-)<BR> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/gohighr/reatta.html</A>

Hi Folks,<BR> with regards to the cup holder, my 1991 Riviera has a pull out tray in the armrest, since this is the same as the Reatta, this should give some clue.<P>Cheers folks!<P>Prakash

I drive an '89 reatta and because I don't use the ash tray I have found that K-mart carries a brand called custom acessories which makes a cup holder that can either clip on the vent or has 3M sticky stuff on the bottom. I closed the ash tray and stuck it on the center between the armrest and power windows. It's not asjustable as far as size, but does hold a 12 oz. can of coke. It costs about $ 4.99.

I have mounted a collapsable cup holder<BR>on the drivers side door. The unit is adjustable to accept all sizes of drinks. I used double sided tape and have never experienced a failure in the three years of use. The unit is made for boats (the local Mercedes dealer sells a leather lined unit<BR>for $35) I got mine for $5. Black trim and no<BR>worries about spilling in the shifter.

• 7 months later...

2nd generation Miatas took a step backward in cupholders. What quite a few folks are using instead is a collapsable cupholder available from Moss Motors. It should work on Reattas as well:<BR> <A HREF="http://store.yahoo.com/mossmotors/222-091.html" TARGET=_blank>http://store.yahoo.com/mossmotors/222-091.html</A> <P>K-Mart is supposed to carry something similar. As you can see if you look at the link above, the holder uses an existing screw in the console so those of us without OEM options in our 88-89's won't have to hack the car up.<P>Drink up!

I HAVE THE BEST CUP/CAN HOLDER IN MY 89. SIMPLY PLACE THE BEVERAGE OF YOUR CHOICE BETWEEN Y0UR INNER THIGHS AND CLAMP TIGHTLY. THE ONLY SIZE MY ADJUSTABLE CUP HOLDER HAS A PROBLEM WITH IS THE 64OZ BIG GULPS. ACCIDENTAL SPILLAGE DOES OCCUR WITH QUICK SPURTS OF ACCELERATION, SO BEWARE OF A SUDDEN COLD OR HOT SENSATION BETWEEN THE LEGS. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

Many different styles of cup holders can be found at your local marine supply store. Boaters are always looking for innovative cup holders. I know the style listed above available at Moss Motors can be found at a boating store, not sure of the price though, and besides, I have dealt with Moss several times in my MGB days and it was always a pleasure.........Dan

I HAVE AN 89. PURCHASED A $5.00 CUP HOLDER, THE SIZE I NEEDED TO FIT MY CUP. GROUND OFF THE BOTTOM EDGE UNTIL FLAT. APPLIED FELCRO TO THE BOTTOM. PUT A STRIP OF FELCRO ACROSS THE TOP RIGHT EDGE OF THE ASH TRAY AND ANOTHER JUST ABOVE THE ASH TRAY. WORKS WELL AND THE ASH TRAY IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR THINGS OTHER THAN<BR>AN ASH TRAY.

I couldn't leave the cupholder thing alone. I went to the junkyard this weekend and picked up a cupholder assembly from a Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique for $5.33. They recess into the center console and spring up and extend when you depress them. They are mounted in the Ford/Merc with only two screws so they are easy to remove. I took the finished cover assy as well.<P>Naturally, the Reatta doesn't have a 1/2"x8" slot in the console looking for a mate and I didn't want to create one.<P>I went to the hardware store, picked up (2) 1-1/2" mounting brackets, spacers (about 1/4"), and (2)10-24x3/4" screws. I mounted the 90 degree bracket so that it hangs off the side off the cupholder assy like a pair of hooks.<P>Then I loosened the carpeted sides of the console on the driver's side. The material here is perfect for what I'm doing. The carpet is mounted to a flexible sheet of plastic. I just slid the "hooks" over the top of the carpeted plastic, positioned the assembly next to the seat so that the unfinished side is not very visible and tightened the screws down. It solid and feels like its OEM. A little matching carpet/material to cover the front that sticks out a little would make it complete.<P>It didn't damage the upholstery, require gluing, drilling,...<P>The entire process took me less than 15 minutes and cost about $7.00

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it me, or did neither of the links in this thread work? </div></div>

Hey Richard.........it's an eight year thread. cool.gif

Guest MauiWowee

4/05/08

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's spring and I thought the cupholder questions would start again. This thread is one of Barneys oldest. [i sometimes go back and see what people talked about 7-8 years ago]. </div></div>

I think you were four days late, eh Dave? cool.gif

When I originally wrote the note, I probably did not have a digital camera.

Here is a picture of the cupholder... the bottom unpainted part, fits into the ashtray hole. The shiny black part is a 2x4 with a little routing done for appearance. The cupholder is bolted to the 2x4 and positioned toward the armrest to get it away from the shifter and you will note the cigar lighter hold is accessable.

A little option is two holes in the front for pens.

post-30596-143137976788_thumb.jpg

Guest DTerry

It's called the "wedgie"; it works well, easily removed and tossed in the back, and it's cheap and simple.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tedhop

I found a nice foldable cup holder in one of the boating catalogs. I mounted it on the passenger side on the tunnel

just far enough forward so the passenger seat would not hit it. Comes in several colors.

ted in Indy

Guest Greg Ross

Read "Tedhops' post above, what you almost fell for work perfectly. You could even mount two, one on each side of the tunnel/ console. Use the smallest screw that doesn't pull thru the base. If you choose to remove them in the future/ show/ whatever, the holes will dissapear in the nap of the carpet. Best of all they're paintable and can be color matched to your interior.

Very best option I have seen for a Reatta Cup holder in over 10 years.

Griotts Garage sells one similar in operation to the one in dnt's post with the exception that it not only looks, but is quality made (advertised as Mercedes OEM). Sells for around 22-24.00 shipped. I bought two and have them mounted on the console tunnel as Greg suggests above....really nice and very convienent....the cup holder also folds to close out of the way when not in use.

Guest waxbgone

If you are a little bit handy in the workshop, you can make one of these for your 90 or 91. The holes in the base are "stepped" to accept 2 diameters, and the hole in the top is large enough for a mega-drink from speedway. It will hold everything from a pop can to a 1-liter bottle. My first design had a solid top with 2 holes (like the base) but this design allows putting the gear selector into Low, and will hold a coffee mug with a handle.

The bottom has a piece of non-skid material (from an old placemat), and is hollowed out to clear the ashtray lid. Since it is not attached to the car, I can move it from the coupe to the convertible when the sun comes out.

post-30755-143137980611_thumb.jpg

post-30755-143137980616_thumb.jpg