Info on old Walker Floor Jack

ChiScouter

I just aquired a old Walker mod 770 Series B 5000 lb capacity hydraulic floor jack. It is about 4 feet long and has about a 4 ft handle. Everything on it seems to work except one of the casters doesn't spin. It does seem to lift, but acts as though it is low on oil. I would much appreciate a rough idea on its age, value, and where to find more information on it

Hello ChiScouter, Welcome to the forum...These jacks were at nearly every service station in the "old days". Today they sit in the corner at most shops who still own them, as they are too tall to get under most modern iron. Low oil will keep the jack from going the whole way up, air at the pump,will make the lift small with each handle pull. I have seen many working jacks of this type change hand for under $200.00. Most jack repair shops get over $100 to repair one. If you work on some old cars from the 50's back, it could come in handy as some of these cars can be 2 tons or more. Hope this helps. Karl

I bought my model 884 in a scrapyard for the cost of it's weight ($10 ). My local jack repair shop ( yellow pages ) sold me a rebuild kit for $45 and xeroxed the exploded views and parts list for free. Pretty easy rebuild and it works like a champ. You will have to make some special wrenchs for the large packing nuts but no big deal. Google search for "walker jacks" says EMail

wmogrady@iserv.net for parts and paper work. Good luck..bob

ChiScouter, I've found info is easy to get from the manufacture on equipment. I think Walker is still in business under their own name. I was told manufactures HAVE to give manuals because you could be hurt not knowing how to operate it. I've gotten several parts and service manuals for older equipment for the price of copying. The trouble is finding who owns the Co. now, sometimes it takes many phone calls.

• Like 1

Guest imported_PackardV8

I have a 10K pound walker circa 1940 and i've been using it for over 30 years.

Walker is now under the Viking name which i believe is somekind of swedish or danish co. They do not supply parts for the older walker that i know of. Be sure that the filler plug on top of the cylinder nearest the handle has a vent hole in it. I replaced the seals in mine about 6 years ago because it got leaking oil so bad. The kit was given to me about 20 years ago and i think it was about $45 at that time.

This is the finest floor jack i have ever used and i have at least 4 other smaller jacks (no not those china-rican made things that u can hold under your arm either). I always grab this walker first tho despite its enormous size and weight. I've had NO trouble at all with it being too high to go under any cars modern or otherwise. NOTHING will lift as high as this model i have.

It was originaly made for trucks. I wouldn't trade it for 10 of the most expensive modern jack there is.

Filling with oil is a bit slow tho. Use ONLY jack oil. NOT engine oil nor trans oil nor anything else. Fill it with an oil squirt can filled with JACK oil. Again, filling is slow and kind of tedious.

These big massive jacks are great for lifting a car and swinging it around the garage or manuevering a cor into tight spaces. Removing transmissions and i even lifted a jeep one time with it all 4 wheels at the same time from the centre. A marvelous piece of equipment to be very proud of owning.

Keep me posted on your findings of parts availability. I would like a new cylinder and Ram for mine. Packard56V8@wmconnect.com

• 3 weeks later...

No Indians, IH Scouts

I got a few links that didn't pan out, but I just ordered a parts breakdown from Hydraulic Jack Inc in New York. They don't have a web presence, but their # is 845 626 2510. I just requested a parts breakdown, but he said he still has a kit for my Jack. I guess the Mod770 series B wasn't very popular, They started production in 1941, I didn't find out how long they were made.

• 9 years later...
Guest david5300
Hello ChiScouter, Welcome to the forum...These jacks were at nearly every service station in the "old days". Today they sit in the corner at most shops who still own them, as they are too tall to get under most modern iron. Low oil will keep the jack from going the whole way up, air at the pump,will make the lift small with each handle pull. I have seen many working jacks of this type change hand for under $200.00. Most jack repair shops get over $100 to repair one. If you work on some old cars from the 50's back, it could come in handy as some of these cars can be 2 tons or more. Hope this helps. Karl

I would gladly pay 100.00 to get my old jack working once more.

Guest Hudson33

Have 2 ea. Walker 740's but require castors Have tried to find web site that works but to no avail. Any help to find appreciated!!

• 3 years later...

I have an old Walker Mechanical floor jack. The tag on the handle says it is a ROLL-A-CAR, MODEL 745, SERIES E...Does anyone have any info on this jack. It appears that all the parts a present but it will go up but will not come down. Any information, diagrams, etc would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

For any kind of old floor jacks or other vintage tools or garage equipment, check out the Garage Journal forum online. There is an entire thread devoted to vintage floor jacks, and LOTS of valuable info is there for you. And it's all free. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello All,

I have a Walker hydraulic bottle jack, series A, model 944. It's rated for ten tons. I can't seem to find any information on this model at all, no mention of it on any site. I'm just trying to discover how old it is mostly. It has been in the family for over 60 years.

• 2 weeks later...