how much horsepower can a poweglide handle?

Joe Werner

Guest tin knocker

My memory may be failing but I seem to remember the Scarab in the old Can-Am series trying a Powerglide and it handled the power just fine.

Rollie

A guy I know runnning a nostalgia gas dragster, early style Chrysler hemi with 6-71 GMC blower in front of a powerglide.

I believe Lance Reventlow's Scarab had a conventional Corvette V8 with 4-speed manual transmission. The car was built by Troutman & Barnes, who also built the first Chaparrals for Jim Hall, also using Corvette drivetrains. A number of later Chaparrals, built by Hall in Texas, were rear-engined with simple but tough two-speed dog clutch transmissions fed power by a torque converter.

Discussing the definition of "is".

A 48 year-old transmission can be expected to be in need of service or a complete rebuild, much as any mechanical system of that vintage. In excellent operating condition, Joe's Powerglide should be adequate for the service to which I understand it will be subjected; i.e., street use behind a mildly hopped-up but otherwise essentially stock 283 in a sedan. In fact, examples exist of Powerglides performing service in harsher operating environments than that described.

Leaky, wheezy, balky-shifting, slipping automatic transmissions of whatever age can be expected to fail. Joe hasn't described his.

Let us then revise and simplify our advice to Joe: If in good condition, your transmission should be fine. If it presently needs a rebuild, continued use will not improve it.

Absolutely- if it's good for now, proceed. When I said to be careful I was thinking worse scenario. Lots of brake torque starts and high RPM stuff will soon tell on a half century old tranny. Hey I did that to my 58 with about 50,000 on it in 1964 and just the 235. I'm picturing myself with lots more power and my tranny- recipe for disaster. grin.gif I hope you drive a little more docile than I did, Joe. blush.gifblush.gif