Pierce Arrow Hood ornament

yesterdayrose

I have a Pierce Arrow Hood ornament, I think steel, kneeling man with bow, arrow missing. On one side it says: Tireur d'arc, and w.n. Schnell. When I turn the thing up side down it says: Ternstedt Mfg.Co; Design Patent Pending. Where and How can I find out that this is an original and not a reproduction? and how much is it worth?

TIA, yesterdayrose

I'm not an expert, but I don't think the reproduction has the manufacturer information on the bottom. As I recall the archers face is, or at least appears to be a separate piece from the rest of the casting (it is die-cast or "pot-metal" by the way) and the bow is brass wire and plated with the rest. As for value... Well I've seen them from $100 (bad shape) to $1500 for one in better than decent condition. My favorite quote is that it's worth what someone will give you for it, and e-bay will be the best way to set the "fair" or best price for you. Going blind I think that is a 1930-31 style ornament, but if you post your e-mail or a picture I have a book that will verify the year.

Thanks so much for giving me some info! I put the ornament up for auction so please, please take a look (eBay) and let me know if we are doing this right! my apologies, but I used some of the info you gave me in the auction. If I forgot to mention anything, let me know through the auction. I just want to do this right!