overheating

MICK

I WOULD CHECK THE TIMING ON THE ENGINE FIRST.

1. MAKE SURE THAT THE ADVANCE LEVER ON THE STEERING WHEEL IS IN THE ADVANCE POSITION.

2. CHECK THE TIMING ON THE FLY WHEEL. (DO YOU HAVE THE MECHANICS MANUAL?)

3. TUNE THE CARBURETOR. A LEAN MIXTURE WILL CAUSE THE ENGINE TO RUN HOT AND THEREFORE IN SUMMER WEATHER IT DOESN?T TAKE MUCH TO OVER HEAT.

WELL I HOPE THIS HELPS

REUEL

Thanks for the advice the car has been running fine up to now i drove it to work early in the morning with no problems but when i drove later it started overheating cant work out why it keeps loosing water out the oveflow ill check the timming tomorow when i get the car back from the motor trimmers How do i adjust the carburetor to make it run right i am in tasmaima and we are in winter so the temp is pretty low Thanks Mick

• 13 years later...

My Dodge 8 did this recently. So I bought an IR thermometer and used it on the engine while warming up. It was OK until the thermostat opened (head temp. 75 oC beside the plugs, block temp. 55 oC beside the cylinders). It then pumped coolant out the overflow, fast.

The radiator was blocked. It was quite sudden. I have been concerned about slightly warm running for a while. I suppose it just finally blocked enough to not be able to handle the flow. Prior to that, there was just enough capacity to pass the pumped flow and keep the engine cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...