Hey I'm a Packard man!

Shawn Miller

My search for an affordable, drivable, presentable Full Classic has ended! I am now the proud owner of a '31 833 7 passenger Sedan with 30,500 original miles. Can't wait to get it home. Always wanted a Packard. Bought it from a club member...is this a great club or what?

Shawn Miller

Congrats on the new girl. Have any pictures.

30,000 original miles from factory? They sure put allot of miles on for the test drive. Now I am just kidding. I have been told in the past that original in not the correct term for calling out the ACTUAL miles on the car. smirk.gif

Shawn - you lucky devil ! Sounds great !

Just bear in mind what we've discussed in various threads before. Think about the roads your car was designed and geared for. At the risk of repeating myself, remember that with stock gearing, at, say 45 mph, that 5" stroke means your pistons and connecting rods are thrashing about, generating many MANY times the inertial loadings as a modern car with modern "insert" connecting rod bearings, incurs at over 90 mph.

Your '41 Cad. was light-years more advanced in its ability to handle modern speeds. I hope that didn't spoil you for how much difference only about 10 years made in the evolution of automotive technology !

Please feel free to telephone me if I can be of help - you know my favorite saying..there ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS when car buffs, especially fellow CCCA members, want to add to their knowledge, and you know that I have "been there" down thru the years with technical problems involving Packards !

Double triple secret WOOF !

Guest BillP

Hartmann's right, Shawn. Don't tempt fate. Yank that boat anchor now and put in a small block.

Remember, the beauty of these forums is that we can all learn from each other and not waste time on silly personality debates.

Now I am jealous! I love the 8th Series Packards and have wanted one for many years. Now we can "Ask The Man Who Owns One". Post a picture so we can all drool on our keyboards. smile.gif

Well, Peter I dont expect to be driving her on the interstate, but will probably go ahead and install high speed gears this winter, as someone in know said to me "you do this for the car, not for yourself". I still am looking for a more modern Full Classic, but ever so carefully at this point, now that the Packard has been acquired. As you can see (if the pic loads) it has artillery wheels so I don't expect it to be a high speed car. I am sure it will be faster than the daVinci no matter what!

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Shawn

Shawn,

Are your artillery wheels painted or stained?

I have them on my car including the sidemounts. I get allot comments on them. Are they real wood, etc?

Yes they are wood,and they are stained versus painted. Couldnt get the image to load onto this site but you can see some shots of the car at my webpage www.4stargallery.com/mycaraddiction The interior is the only thing that has been redone, about 10 years ago, otherwise this car is original (reportedly). There was some debate amongst Packard cognoscenti about the mohair interior. the owner said that is what it had, so he redid it accordingly. Others said Packard didnt offer mohair, only broadcloth, then I verifed that you could, in fact, get mohair in Packard, so feel confident this car is correct.

Good thing too..that interior is really nice and i would hate to have to redo it.

Shawn

Hey Shawn - I hope Bill P was just kidding about putting a "mouse" in your "new" Packard ( "mouse" is what the hot rodders call the small block GMC/Chevrolet ). What Bill P may NOT know, is that you had a 41 Cad; because those were such great open road cruisers, you could be a bit "spoiled" by that. Having met you in person, I know you are smart enough not to try and drive a 1930 car the way you could have driven that '41 Caddy !

Shawn - here's a suggestion for your first "project". Price is right - just your own labor ! Those of us with engines who have BIG FLAT LONG OIL PANS, should "drop" them when we first get the cars, and then at least once every couple of years thereafter. Reason - even if you drain the oil when the motor is hot, those big flat oil pans hold a lot of crud from the combustion process. Bad news is, our old low compression engines dont burn all that clean - you will find all kinds of soot and abrasive-attracting crap in there - guaranteed. And remember, your new "beast" does NOT have a floating oil pump intake - it ingests oil right from the lowest point in the oil pan - not good, as the junk gets sucked up, and the oil screen on the pump intake isn't fine enough to take out engine wearing abrasives. Keep that oil pan clean, and that's a major part of the battle of getting good service out of the engine.

If you look underneath, you will see this is a very simple job. The FIRST time you do this, you will ruin the oil pan gasket, as it most likely will be "welded" from old age, partially to the lower crank-case, partially to the pan. You can get a roll of gasket paper from any large auto parts house, and make your own. Once you have a new gasket, if you coat the oil pan side of it with grease, the NEXT time you take it down, it will be so easy it will be a joke, and you wont have to make another gasket ever again ( I made the one for my Twelve back in the mid 1950's..."dropped" the oil pan every couple of years...and ...this is 2004 !

Your idea of an over-drive is a good one, practical but expensive way of cutting engine r.p.m.'s to sane levels at the 55-60 mph PROPERLY SET UP wood wheels would be capable of. Not knowing enough about wood wheel technology, I have no idea what a safe limt should be on these. Sounds like you are using your head of approaching this issue with a bit of trepedation.

What can you tell us about the engine ? Was it rebuilt ? When and by who ? It is entirely possible that the ORIGINAL rod bearing material is still in there, OR, that, if re-babbited, someone knew what they were doing and used a high nickel-content babbit. IF this is the case, AND you keep the r.p.m.'s down (yeah..I know..I know...after driving a '41 Cad. ...quite a come down, at least as far as crusing speeds are concerned...!) you should be all right if you dont "push" it.

C'mon...be fair..you know what my car looks like...let's see yours !

Dog Spot

Thanks for the tip Peter...sounds like a good idea, particularly since this car hasnt had lots of miles put on it.

My computer is acting up, that's why the pictures would not load right onto the page. Of course i am really just exposing my ignorance about technical stuff, or I could attach a file here on the site...it said it was too big.

As far as the wheels go I could always buy a set of discs or wires for higher speed travel...my philosophy is more to just not push a car beyond its limits and to never be a hurry when driving an old car like this one...sometimes other drivers make that difficult however.

Shawn

Guest BillP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> if re-babbited, someone knew what they were doing and used a high nickel-content babbit.

Dog Spot </div></div>

Using wacky alloys to rebuild engines may explain Petey's bad dreams regarding old engines.

Here on planet Earth, our babbitt is either tin or lead based with antimony and copper and maybe a little arsenic. Nickel is not a component.

Isn't the internet a wonderful tool, where we all can learn from each without all these silly personal attacks?

Hi Again Shawn !

Saw some of the pictures - looks pretty good. If anyone thinks that the paint job on Shawn's car is a bit too "theatrical", let me suggest you take a look at some of those beautiful multi-color ads in the Fortune Magazine of the 20's and 30's. Yes, in those somber times, MANY, perhaps even MOST Packards came out the door dark solid colors. BUT...if you told a Packard dealer what you wanted...well..most of us know...Packard was in business to sell cars..!

Shawn - a thought for another project for you (this is what I tell anyone who has just aquired an old car ). What do you know about the wheel bearings, meaning, when were they last serviced ? The front wheel bearings are pretty conventional, and obvious. The REAR wheel bearings on Packards are a PAIN. You have to "pull" the brake drums off, then un-bolt the brake backing plates to get at em. Unless you are SURE the rear wheel bearings were recently greased (meaning within the past 10 years or so ) I would love to see you go in there and check them out.

Do you know how to "pull" the rear drums on a Packard ? Do you have access to the special "puller" that you MUST have to do this job without wrecking the hub ? Do you know the special "trick" to using it ? If not, call me, or I can review it for you here. I feel so strongly about this "check the rear wheel bearing" issue, that if you cant find the special "puller" locally, I will be happy to loan mine to you, and pay for the freight both ways !

Hartmann WHO...?

Woof !

Thanks again Peter. Luckily we have several talented mechanics here in the area, sounds like something one of them will get to handle, HA!

The car gets here tomorrow evening, having bought it from only seeing the pictures, tomorrow will either be A. Christmas, or B. Halloween.

Hopefully A, and then the only things I will have to deal with are the little preventative things you have suggested.

Shawn

Bill P -

Regarding your comment on connecting rod bearings - you might be interested to know that a much wider variety of bearing materials than you indicated, is available for 'insert' type rod bearings, depending on the application. As you may know, Federal Mogul and Packard pioneered the "copper-lead" concept, and this has worked out so well down thru the years, it is still the first choice for long life/high load applications. Many manufacturers have offered aluminum and even silver combinations.

I have confidence in Shawn - he has been around old cars long enough to know that each era's technology has to be dealt with - again , you can bet he isnt going to drive a 1930 car the way he could have driven his '41.

I am sure you know that a 1930 car is light-years behind a 1940 car in terms of, for lack of a better term..I will just call "driveability".

Of course you know Shawn's prior classic, a '41 Cad., was essentially a modern car, in that it had hydraulic brakes, independant front suspension, and most important, a much 'higher' (lower numerically) final drive ratio, and, of course, "insert" type connecting rod bearings. Shawn is an experienced old car buff, thus is fully aware that steady speeds that would destroy a 1930 car can be enjoyed in a 1940 car - isn't it interesting how much changed in only ten years of auto technology !

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to see the exchange between Shawn and I over his "new" Packard. As you may know, Shawn and SOME of his friends have significant differences with me on certain aspects of Classic Car Club Of America policy. But as you have seen here, in the best tradition of the old car hobby in general, and CCCA members in particular, all that fades into the background when we start bouncing ideas off each other about our cars, and how we can help each other enjoy them. None of us individually has "all the answers". Together, we have a lot more fun, and life with old cars gets a lot easier !

Dog Spot

Right you are Chuck...it was tuff not to just go buy another Cord, as I miss mine much more than I miss the 41 Caddy, and I believe it was faster than the Caddy as well. I will have another some day, but am excited to get a Packard...my motto is "so many cars, so little time". Time to try to something new (well old).

Shawn

Guest Chuck Conrad

Hey Spot.

As you know, I live in Texas. The Cord came from California so I had to get Texas plates for it. I can't tell you how much trouble it was to keep it from becoming a Ford, at least on the title. The ladies at the license plate office kept insisting, "Y'all mean Ford, don'tcha?"

"No, Mam. That's C-O-R-D."

"Yep, like I said.... Ford."

It was a long day, but they ended up giving me Texas Antique Auto license plate "36-V8" so it ended well.

It's a 1936 810 Westchester.

Hey Chuck - about that government clerk who wanted to call your classic a "Ford"....you dont suppose...she was on to something....! (ha..couldn't resist that...!)

Seriously, Chuck, I hope you dont think your great state has a monopoly on government employees who have limited vision when it comes to dealing with old vehicles...!

When I brought my '36 American La France V-12 into California for the first time, the DMV clerk refused to accept the paper-work - let me explain something to our younger readers - the idea of a many-digit "Vehicle Identification Number" on a plate affixed to the top of the dash, is relatively new, starting with a then new Federal law in the 1960's.

Prior to that, a manufacturer could assign any kind of number/letter combo. it wished, and THAT is what wound up on your title.

In my case, ALF had a FOUR digit number, mine happens to be "7755". The clerk didn't like that - wanted more digits - wanted the "VIN" (again, that only dates back to the 1960's). I told her several times that the number #7755 was the CORRECT number, the only one assigned by the manufacturer, and that is what she was to use on the new California title, just as the vehicle had been titled for so many years by other jurisdictions.

It gets worse. She insisted I go back outside to the fire engine, and "just look up on top of the flat portion of the dash-board, it has to be there".

I explained to her it is an "open cab" vehicle..there IS no "flat portion" on top of the dash-board...dosnt exist !".

Well...she said,very huffy..."you will just have to write the manufacturer, and get a letter from them explaining why they did not comply with the VIN law".

I explained to her that American La France's factory was long closed, and the plant razed to the ground LONG before - there was nothing ..nobody there to write to.

HONEST...she said VERY tersely..."THAT'S NO EXCUSE".....!

Dog Spot

Many years ago, a friend of mine bought a 1922 or 1923 Model A Duesenberg. The serial number for the car was something like "643" and Model A Duesenbergs started with serial number "500" or something like that. When he brought the title to get put in his name, just as with your experience Peter, the clerk was dumbfounded by the low number. The girl behind the counter asked him, "you mean it was the 643rd one built?" He told me you should have seen the look on her face when he told her "No, it was the 143rd one built!!!" My serial numbers here may be off a bit, but you get the point.