1950 Buick starting

myoldcars

Just hauled home a 1950 Buick with the straight 8 engine. The ignition switch has on,off, and lock on it. How do you start this Buick.I cant find any way to turn the starter over. Im use to Model Ts, so this Buick is all new to me. Anyone out there that can help me on this.

Guest Teamsterdug

Justaford,

Your '50 Buick should have an accelerator starter switch mounted on the carburetor. You should probably pump the gas pedal a couple of times with the ignition switch off and then, with the key in the "on" position, just push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it should start cranking. That is unless someone has bypassed the switch on the carb and mounted a push button somewhere like on or under the dash. This was a common way that shade tree mechanics sometimes dealt with a faulty and malfuntioning switch on the carb. FYI (In case you aren't aware of this): Unless the ignition switch is turned all the way to the "lock" position you can turn the ignition switch from off to on position without even using the key. Just thought I'd throw that info in since this is your first Buick. Good luck.

If you can't find a button, and it still doe not start with the accelerator pedal, you can jump it from under the hood. If the switch is bad, all you need is a jumper from one side to the other on the switch on the carb. Turn the ignition on, put the car in park or neutral , and jump from one side ot the switch to the other

One thing to remember ifd you are driving your Buick in the real cold weather. If you ever flood it you have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and turn the key off and on to engage the starter. Otherwise every time you push the accelerator down to engage the starter you flood it more and more.