Water jacket cover

Mike Dube

I will be installing a new water jacket cover on my '32 Auburn's Lycoming GU series engine soon. What should I paint the inside of it with? I would like it to last as long as possible. Tho I don't need any flaking paint clogging up the cooling system.

Anybody had any experience with this?

Mike

Guest imported_PackardV8

ASSUMING its CLEAN METAL AND NOT ALUMINUM then tin it with tinners solder (aka tinners paste) available at welding supply stores. Its expensive about $30/pound or more maybe now. one pound is about 1/3 of an 8oz coke can but goes along way. Could have it brass or copper plated or better yet even gold plated. How long did the old one last??????? 50+ years?? Might be further ahead to just go ahead and install it as is.

Packard V8 wrote: Might be further ahead to just go ahead and install it as is.

I'm beginning to think this might be the best way to go. My old cover is probably not the original, tho If I was guessing, I'd say the cover had been on there since the engine was gone thru 20 years ago. It had some pinholes that weeped a bit now and then. One of them decided to let go a week ago. I wire brushed and sanded down the 3 bad spots and JB Welded them Saturday night. Turns out the one that was leaking was a pinhole, and the 2 that weren't, were outright holes.

Took her out with coolant back in tonight, and for now, its holding. I do have the new side cover, but know from others' experiences, that this will very likely turn into a bigger than expected job.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.

Mike

Guest stude8

I don't know how rare that plate is but unless it is reproduced (Tools exist somewhere?) I would treat it like gold. I had my 1930 Studebaker plate (Steel) electroplated in copper as heavy as they could apply. It lasted years in on the road driving. Be sure to use anti-rust additive in your coolant, it not only saves the water jacket it preserves the engine block passages which are also rusting away if the block is iron. Stude8

Thanks Stude,

The GU series Lycoming cover is being reproduced. I bought a new one a couple of years ago. I suspect I can get the old one welded if I need to as well. I'll keep your advice in mind.

Mike

• 11 years later...
Guest Oldcartech

I used 6 packs of JB Weld on the inside of my Gardner's water jacket before I made one from Stainless. It worked for 15 years and still doesnt leak. If you do it right, JB Weld last's a long long time.