Need to know Ignition firing order

What is the firing order, and which is the number one cylinder and how are they ordered, i.e. down one side then the other or from side to side, for a '55 Buick nailhead? Also where are the timing marks, on the crank pulley or the flywheel?

Thanks in advance.

Hi

The Buick V 8 are quite different from other GM cars. The nailhead # 1 cylinder is on the Right side ( pass) The number one cylinder is always a little offset towards the front of the motor, where as the # 2 cylinder is set back (Opposite side) from the # 1 cyl.

You will fing the firing order either on the intake manifold or the spark plug cover (1953-54-55-56 had the spark plug covers)

As for the timing marks I am not sure. but someone will answer question.

Never let the neighborhood Chebbby mechanic work on your motor, he will have # 1 cyl. firing on # 9 cyl.

Jim Schilf

palbuick@aol.com

Jim is correct on number 1 cylinder location. Your firing order is 12784563. The right bank cylinders are 1-3-5-7 and the left banks are 2-4-6-8

On the Super, the timing mark is located on the damper and you should have a mounted indicator. Set the timing mark on the number 5 indicator marking at 350 RPM.

Rick

Thanks for the firing order, as I do not have sparkplug covers and havn't looked at the manifold yet. Sounds like the cylinders are ordered much like a Dodge V8 a friend had many years ago. I didn't notice a timing idicator at the front, but then I wasn't looking for one at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ford V8, haven't had a need to look at the firing order. And it's been so long since my first Ford that I forgot what it was. I know Ford and Chevy are different than the Dodge V8, at least the early '70's model that my friend used to have. So I figured that a Buick might be different as well.