1950 6 volt change

Hi,

I just got a hold of a 1950 Desoto 2 door. The car runs great, I'm in the process of painting it, and getting the interior useable. My question is, what would I have to do to change this over to a 12 volt system. The guy I got it from told me it already was. It has a 12 volt battery in it, he started it and drove it. But upon looking under the hood I see a 6 volt regulator. It appears to have the original generator as well.

Thanks,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob , I don't know about the '50 for sure , but here is what I did on my '40 Chev pickup , and it all works well.

Changed all the bulbs to 12v.

Changed the coil to 12v .

Changed out the 6v gen and voltage regulator for 12v items off a '56 chev.

Fitted a resistor to the gas gauge behind the dash.

Left the original 6v foot operated starter , it runs ok on 12v for the short time required to start the truck. I have done 47,000 miles in this truck like this now .

You may need to check the solenoid on your starter to see if 6v or 12v is required there .

That's all I can remember just now , maybe someone else who has done this change will add anything I might have missed .

Edit ; OK , I just thought of the radio and heater , they will need to be 12v or buy a voltage reducer et. al.

I also took the opportunity to toss the vaccuum wipers and fitted a 12v electric wiper motor , now THAT was worth doing .