1955 Desot Fireflyte Convertible with Hemi

pint4

A friend of mine recently purchased a 1955 Desoto Fireflyte Convertible with Hemi Engine. Needs a restoration but pretty much all there plus has a 2 door parts car. We are debating the rarity of this car as he decides whether or not to restore it. How many are there? I don't see a lot of them. I would think he could justify putting quite a few bucks and effort into a nice restoration based on its rarity. Would you agree?

• 3 weeks later...

This would be a real beauty restored, and it is rare, my figures say 775 Fireflite convertibles built. It deserves a nice restoration, but it won't be easy or cheap. If this is to be your friend's first project I would say sell it and buy something easier to deal with (and find parts for)to avoid discouragement. I would guess most new parts and services would cost twice as much as, say, those for a 1955 Chevy. At one time I considered a 1957 DeSoto and passed for these reasons, but I still think they are spectacular cars when restored, and if you are patient and experienced, go for it! Todd C

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...