The body is off the frame!

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Just wanted to give an update to those that are interested. We took the body off of the frame last night. <BR>First order of business: See if the frame number matches the engine number. It does. I'm almost sorry that it does in a way. If it did not, I would not have to worry about putting a different engine in it. As it is, I feel like I need to do whatever it takes to keep this engine. No big deal though. I think it is in pretty good shape. <P>There is a sag in the frame near the left motor mount. I was hoping there was not one, but expected it to be on the right side if there was. Go figure. Anything could have happened in this amount of time. I've read how to straighten them by chaining it to a piece of railroad rail and using a bottle jack. One problem, I don't have a piece of railroad track. You don't suppose they'd mind me borrowing a piece if I put it back before the next train comes, do you?<P>After breakfast, I intend to roll the frame out and pressure wash 71 years worth of grease, dirt, and general crud off of it. I'm about to learn what Bill already knows, but I doubt I catch up to him.<P>

Hey, you need to get your terminology correct. It's not called "cleaning 71 years of dirt off the frame". It's called "frame archaeology". Several years ago my son (sambarn) helped me clean the frame on the '34 Chev. He told our 70 year old neighbor that he was cleaning off dirt that the neighbor had played in. Just think with each scrape, there's 1960 dirt, there's 1950 dirt, etc. You get the picture. Congrats on your progress.

Hal,<BR>Congratulations are in order. You are now going to be consumed for a while. A couple of things I have learned: <BR>Powdercoat the frame and anything else you can. It is much more durable than paint.<BR>Replace repair or rebuild everything while it is easy to get at. After all how many times do you want to pull the rear end for example on that car ?<BR>Good luck and make sure you have a big trash can for all the dirt.<BR>Bill