Duck Tape !

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

An article in a resent news letter I received suggested that duck tape may be useable to attach magnetic signs to wooden or fiberglass car bodies. Dan would you expand your idea? Would you tape metal to the bodies so the signs would be removeable or just tape directly to the signs making them a perminent accessory. I wonder if we need manufacturer's permission since we have a lot of members that may need the option. We could explore binding the tape for a more finished look! This could be interesting!!!

According to those great old tin enthusiasts, Quick and Quack, especially Quack, you tape a 1/4 inch cast iron plate to your wood or fiberglass sheet non-metal with the Duck tape, then apply the magnetic sign. Now if you use duct tape you may have to ask another expert.<p>[This message has been edited by ronbarn (edited 10-21-2000).]

Bob,<P>Duct tape would give you a better looking sign instead of using masking tape. The use of masking tape would be OK as long as you didn't get it wet. Besides duct tape would hold up better to the great speed that might be obtained with these cars, after all it is called 100 MPH tape.<P>As for Ron's idea - - I wish I had thought of that first.<P>If duct tape is good enough for Red Green than it is good enough for me. <P>Dan

Guest rcirilli

We may have to print instructions for this entire process. Real problems could occur, for example if the car's surface is to highly polished the tape and metal may just slide off if it gets to hot. Hoover may have to tell us how the paint will react!

Guest Chuck Conrad

Duct tape comes in many grades. Most of what you find at your local Home Depot will leave a residue on whatever surface it is stuck to. What you really need is a similar looking tape called "Gaffer's Tape." It is the standard of the Motion Picture and TV industry. The good stuff is black, and leaves no residue on the surface it is attached to. Stage hands (also known as "Gaffers") use it to attach lights to the walls of the White House and many other National Monuments every day. It works, and doesn't pull the finish off the wall, or the paint off of yur car. It is expensive. If you paid less than $15.00 per roll, you didn't get the "real stuff." Even though it is costly. it is a lot better than repainting a car.<P>Chuck Conrad

Guest rcirilli

Thanks Dan, who said this isn't educational forum. With the black tape and the multicolors the street rod'ers use we can paint match our cars as well. Does it get any better than this.....Hay Peter how you doin!<p>[This message has been edited by rcirilli (edited 10-22-2000).]

<BR>Bob: The only comment I have on duct tape is that it is the handyman's (handywoman, in this case) best friend.<BR>My other comment, totally unrelated to duct tape, is that we received our Sept-Oct issue of the AA magazine yesterday and was I ever glad to see you running for the Board. Yea!

Guest rcirilli

Thanks MS, it's an honor to be nominated. The best friends I have are in AACA and I'm proud that some of them nominated me out of so many possibilities. All of the nominees are good people. Thanks again.

Do you all know where the name for that type of tape came from. One day that famous shade tree mechanic, A. J. Tinkerer was working in his shop and his wife found out he was wearing his only Sunday-go-to-meeting shirt. She was so mad, she grabbed the nearest thing at hand, a roll of tape, and threw at his head. And he yelled, "Duck! tape". And the name stuck (pun intended).

I always thought that duct tape was to be used for automotive structural and mechanical repairs, i.e. rehanging that loose muffler or anchoring the generator, or stabilizing the rear motor mounts, or wrapping ignition wires. I've never heard of anyone using this superior repair method to attach items to a pristine restoration paint job! It's a bad idea. rolleyes.gif