reatta tire size

215s will fit under there. I have 225/50/17s under mine and I havent had any rubbing . Im sure you could maybe get 235s under there, might have to roll the fenders but it should fit if ya really wanted them too.

215/60/15 has a radius of 12.6 inches and takes 802 revs per mile

215/65/15 has a radius of 13.0 inches and takes 776 revs per mile STOCK SIZE

Your preferred size would be:

225/60/15 has a radius of 12.8 inches and takes 787 revs per mile, your spedometer will read 60m mph when actually you are going 59.1 mph

225/60/16 has a radius of 13.3 inches and takes 757 revs per mile, your spedometer will read 60m mph when actually you are going 61.4 mph

I have used the 225/60/15 and 225/60/16 on my Reatta and no rubs with either.

Excellent prices here!

• 14 years later...

Evenin' all!

Anyone else have 225/60/16s on their Reatta? I noticed the bottom strut plate is just about an inch above my existing 215s, so wondering if there will need to be an augmentation of that 'Spring plate' for clearance, to accommodate the larger circumference of the 225's? 

'91 Polo Green Reatta

'71 Volvo P1800e 

'68 Duo X15 Ski Boat

'86 Honda Helix Scooter

'73 FMC 2900R Motorcoach

Have had 225x60x16s on both of my Reattas for years since the plate is fixed to the hub/wheel/tire any clearance is "enough" (as long as you do not go fast enough for the tire to "grow".) are on factory (Bonneville) 16x7 wheels with a 46mm offset.

11 hours ago, '91 Polo Green said:

Thank you Padgett - might consider different wheels at some point but enjoying the look of the original '91s for now. I like the look of those Gold Anodized wheels on your GTP, but guessing they won't fit our reattas.

some pontiac and caddy wheels fit.some don't.i was surprised to find pontiac g6 wheels have a different bolt pattern.

Go to www.powerdog.com

you can put in the original size for your car (215x65r15)

Then add the other sizes suggested above.  Powerdog will do all the calculations and show you the sizes, and RPM changes.

As long as you stay close the original diameter you speedometer will not change greatly,

Don't worry too much about the second number of the size.  That number is the ratio between the first number and the sidewall height.

As the first number gets larger (widest part of the tire) the second number should get smaller, yet the sidewall height should not change greatly

The general conceptions is if the second number is small the car rides harder when in fact, the sidewall measurement has not changed.

Reatta wheels III-.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

GTP 16x8s would fit just fine but are not easy to find, 16x7s used to be all over the place but some time most from 1990-1995 then GM changed to a 16x6.5. Pretty wheels.

Stock wheel has a 46 mm offset (size is usually cast on back of wheel) but have seen everything from a 38mm (aftermarket) to a 51mm (Caddy) fitted to a Reatta.

Have ever heard of people mounting Mustang wheels (5x114.3) butt some had vibration issues, others didn't. 

PLEASE IGNORE THE VIGILINK CHOICES AND CLICK THE "CONTINUE TO CARID SITE" AT TOP RIGHT OF PAGE.

With Wheel Spacers found here wheel size and most clearance issues can be erased. A large selection of Rims and tires for them can be found HERE.

If your looking for an exact fit- simply enter your vehicle info (as I have done for this link)

https://www.carid.com/1991-buick-reatta-wheels/

Suppose you want 16"

https://www.carid.com/1991-buick-reatta-wheels/?filter=1&inch=16

Tires? Click this link, enter vehicle info, then click GO

https://www.carid.com/tires.html

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

Sorry but how does a wheel spacer solve a vertical problem ? Also anything under about 40 mm offset (further out) is liable to rub the side of the wheelwell

when at lock.

tirecleartop.jpg.4dba5eaca2c47b68b6d4579a486a6214.jpg

tireclear 003.jpg

ps '91 had a 3.31:1 overall ratio. 88-90 a 2.97. I like 1900 rpm at 70 mph.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

7 hours ago, padgett said:

Have ever heard of people mounting Mustang wheels (5x114.3) butt some had vibration issues, others didn't. 

I ran the Mustang wheels on my Reatta for several years. I had no vibration problems at all but I took great care to tighten the lugs up slowly and evenly until the wheel was fully seated against the hub before I put any torque on them.

With all that offset the Mustang wheels had, there was a problem with bump steer. Not too bad if you hit a bump going in a straight line but go around a curve and  hit a series of bumps at the same time would cause a lot of bump steer. It was most noticeable going up a rough entrance ramp with a sharp curve to get on the interstate. The car would feel like it wanted to dance around. The spacers moving the centerline of the wheel out away from the hub would have the same effect.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 10:14 AM, handmedownreatta said:

some pontiac and caddy wheels fit.some don't.i was surprised to find pontiac g6 wheels have a different bolt pattern.

The Cadillac Catera has a great looking chrome wheel but wrong bolt pattern as well. There was a set at Gibson's and I asked to try one, took it out to the parking lot and tried it on, no go...

11 hours ago, 2seater said:

The 3.31 ratio paired with the larger tire/wheel size yields 3.25 equivalent with the previous tire size.

If you had a '91 with the 3.31 ratio and put a set of 15" wheels on it with low profile tires, perhaps 235/50-15s, I'll bet you could feel the difference in acceleration.  The rice burners have used that trick for years to make their cars have better acceleration.

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If you had a '91 with the 3.31 ratio and put a set of 15" wheels on it with low profile tires, perhaps 235/50-15s, I'll bet you could feel the difference in acceleration.  The rice burners have used that trick for years to make their cars have better acceleration.

No doubt that would be true. Just for reference, the Grand Nationals use a 3.42 axle ratio and the same size stock tire as the early Reatta's. Of course that was a different animal :)  If memory serves, '91 owners have generally reported poorer fuel economy. If the power curves below are to be believed, the '88 has a bunch more grunt at low rpm, perhaps lending itself to the higher numerical axle ratio? I have never found the equivalent curves for the '89-'90, at least not ones I trust since they appear to be identical to the '88, and that is impossible due to the known camshaft differences and what I know for a fact from the flowbench. I guess I am getting sort of off topic, but it is loosely related:wub:

1988 hp curve.png

1991 hp curve.png

• Like 1

BTW GM had two FWD bolt patterns in that period, 5x100 for "small" cars and 5x115 for "large" cars. W-bodies got the 5x115. 4x100 (4x4"), 5x120 (5x4.75"), & 5x127 (5x5) were RWD