They are knock offs..... I have one that's Durant that will barely runs. Known in the trade as "A dollar watch".

Took it to 2 jewelry and got the same answer. Fake. Emblem on back is  suspect too. One of the jewelers said he didn't know how it was done but it's not engraving.

Sorry, but they got me too!

Dave

There was a fellow at Hershey with a big case of "marque" pocket watches.  Didn't hear his spiel to see if he was claiming original or not.

I collect Pierce Arrow memorabilia, early on bought a few "PIERCE" pocket watches.  They're all fake, I mean, they're real pocket watches, but the Pierce face has been added.  I'd say 99.5% of the marque watches out there are fakes.

I have one pocket watch with "CORD" on it, the only reason I think it might be original is that the typeface is so small, hard to think one would counterfeit and put a little bitty CORD on it.  But, it may well be fake, too.

Although not completely related, the South Bend Watch Company made a model named “Studebaker” but I don’t think there was much of a connection to the car company. 

That Buick watch has that 1970’s cheap pocket watch look to it. I have also seen a Pierce Arrow version of it for obscene money. I guess they are old enough to fool another generation of collectors...

On 10/17/2019 at 12:23 AM, 1939_Buick said:

When you open the back of the case what brand/maker does it show?

There is nothing about a brand/maker visible inside. Just "made in USA" and three figure "5" engraved. One single "5" a bit bigger than the other double "55".

I'm not a collector and have no clue about watches, except how to read the time 🙂

This watch was a present from a friend of mine and I have no idea where it comes from, when he bought it and how much he paid for it.

I' was just wondering if someone knows anything about the make and year of the watch, if it was a giveaway at some reason or whatever.

Thank you for all the answers!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wcd30 said:

They are knock offs..... I have one that's Durant that will barely runs. Known in the trade as "A dollar watch".

Took it to 2 jewelry and got the same answer. Fake. Emblem on back is  suspect too. One of the jewelers said he didn't know how it was done but it's not engraving.

Sorry, but they got me too!

Dave

Dave, the emblem is definitely not engraved. Must be some kind of a stamp or etching.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether this watch was made in the 1930's or not, it's still a neat piece for a Buick owner to have. If it's from the '70's it's fast approaching a half century already.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, GregLaR said:

Whether this watch was made in the 1930's or not, it's still a neat piece for a Buick owner to have. If it's from the '70's it's fast approaching a half century already.

In other words, it's just a novelty item.   Check evil-bay and you'll find them showing up regularly for various car makes.   Here is another one -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-16S-Pocket-Watch-Plymouth-Auto-Theme-Dial-Case-Runs-Well/153704453677?hash=item23c97fd62d:g:pZEAAOSweP9dueaf

Terry