89 TC 8 valve needs turbo

Red Alf

I try to restore my TC that is sit for 5 years in the backyard. I replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, filters, oil, coolant, sorted hoses, brake calipers, and now the car start fine with no smoke and no shaking. But the impeller in the turbo is lock. The original Garret 4657733-9002 is impossible to find. I read that Mr. Hemi replaces the unit with the Mitsubishi, but I will like to have more info if anyone can help. Thanks

4 hours ago, Moparite said:

Chrysler used both the Garret and Mitsubishi in the turbo cars. You can get rebuild kits and rebuild it yourself.  

According what I read the Mitsubishi is better; do you know any part # that can flange on the TC? I am afraid to do the rebuild as I don’t have the bench press to do the assembly.         Thanks for your response.

What is your goal for the car? The Garrett turbo on a 2.2 has a decent amount of lag, but pulls OK at the top end. This makes the car feel like an on/off switch. The Mitsubishi turbo on a 2.2 is more responsive, but objectively doesn't pull as hard up top.

In order to swap to a Mitsubishi turbo you have to change the oil and coolant feed/return lines as well. Other than that it's a bolt-on. It will support and make the stock power and then some, but they run out of breath around 14psi (which is around the limit of the stock fueling anyway). I would also suggest a custom calibration to go with it to maximize what the turbo can do.

Turbo's aren't hard to rebuild, but due to how difficult it is to do on our cars, warranty, and the fact you aren't feeling too good about doing it up front, I highly recommend buying a rebuilt unit. 

• Like 1

I can certainly agree with the info Reaper1 provided. My additional comments are these. I have 2 cars with turbo engines, one is my 8 valve 1989 TC and the other one in my 1985 Laser which has an '89 engine block from another TC, but with the Mitsubishi turbo. Both are 5 speed transaxle cars and the DIFFERENCE IS ENORMOUS.  The '89 TC with the Garrett is difficult coming off the line. Considerable revs needed if you don't want a stumble and the boost is not really felt until 2500 RPM. Then it pulls like gangbusters. It has a Daytona Shelby SMEC as well. It is also not geared as low as the Laser which has a Getrag transaxle from a 16V TC, but with larger diameter 16" radials.

The Laser has an engine I built myself whereas the TC has the factory stock early 2.2L.  The Laser engine is a common block so it could AND DID accept a 2.5L crank and pistons. The pistons are the higher compression pistons used in the normaly aspirated 2.5L TBI engine. Beyond that nothing more than a stock Mitsubishi turbo. This car is fun to drive because it has no problem spinning the tires from the line and is responsive as a quarter horse. On the upper end, it depends on how far you want to go, it falls off a little more but there is always a higher gear. Top end, I haven't been there but well over 115.

Both cars are driven as regular street cars and I don't race either. The thing is, in day to day driving in traffic, no effort is needed in driving the Laser where with the TC, I have to be constantly aware that it has nothing to give performance wise in normal traffic, unless I downshift, whereas the Laser has plenty of torque even from much lower RPM. They are really like day (Laser) and night (TC).

You may ask why I don't do anything about the TC, well, it is only rarely driven these days, I am retired from my shop 7 years now so no real good facilities to do anything. I am tempted to swap engines between the 2 but that is a lot of effort as well and should have been done 15 years ago. The next thing, at 79, will likely be selling the TC.

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 7:28 PM, Alfonso Montemerlo said:

I try to restore my TC that is sit for 5 years in the backyard. I replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, filters, oil, coolant, sorted hoses, brake calipers, and now the car start fine with no smoke and no shaking. But the impeller in the turbo is lock. The original Garret 4657733-9002 is impossible to find. I read that Mr. Hemi replaces the unit with the Mitsubishi, but I will like to have more info if anyone can help. Thanks

I may have one of those in stock. Do you still need one?

On 11/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Bill Reichert said:

Noooooo!

Well, so far I have sold my 2.5L turbo intercooled 85 Laser with a Getrag 5 speed. A great running car, sold to a fellow TC owner. My 85 Voyager with a 3.0L will be next, if anyone is interested.

IMG_0031.thumb.JPG.bafc1e8e21091dd602d729a1ce37c59a.JPG

• Like 1

While I am certainly all for people using whomever they feel comfortable with, if you can go through a supplier that caters to our cars and supports our hobby directly it helps everyone. Please support our vendors!

www.turbosunleashed.com