Want opinions Best looking Cars from the early 1950's n the later 1950's

StylishOne

Guess Id Group A  1950-54 as Early, Group B 1955-59  as later Group.

Which American-made production cars are your favs for most handsome designs (exterior only) for this era..???

I broke it down into 2 sections, since the era had such drastic changes in styling..

If you care to explain why you chose that specific car, even better!

I like understanding collectors tastes, and if there are true favs across the board..Thanks

Edited by StylishOne
Public went off target (see edit history)

Yes it is. Of course it is a custom job that is very well done. It has modern Ford V8 power under the hood. I looked through all my pictures and I didn't take one of that car other then the one you spotted. The picture was taken at the CTCI Convention in Knoxville, TN this summer. If I get any more information on that car I will pass it along.

A 57 T-Bird Station Wagon, pretty cool !   The only thing cooler would be a 57 T-Birdchero.

A one off custom is great, if it looks like it could be real.  (Like the 55 Studebaker Speedster II

in the the new AACA Antique Automobile.)

This 57 El Camino is the best of the "What If" Ute's in my opinion.   Having owned 3 El Camino's,

starting with a 59 and currently owning a 57 Ford Ranchero, the 57 El Camino would be my

dream Ute.   Anybody can ruin a vehicle, but it takes real talent to improve one to this level.

57ElCamino.jpg.958e39b12bc73daa948378473aa1b091.jpg

The early Jags were spectacular looking cars, especially the 120, 140 and 150 coupe and convertible models, I'd take anyone of them. Of course the 55 MB Gull Wing Coupe was not too shabby. The early Porsche 356's were very fine designs as well. As for big 3 USA manufacturers, the first Lincoln Continental ('55?) is my fave from the 50's. 

I'm an American car guy, but to me, the Maserati A6 GCS Berlinetta is the prettiest of all time. This incarnation is the best, with it's body from Pinin Farina about 1954. Only four were made, I think. This photo seems to convey the best lines of the car.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1954-PininFarina-Maserati-A6GCS-Berlinetta-2060_01.jpg

The Studebaker Starliner of 1953 and 54 had a great influence on car designers. The stylists who created some of the great American cars of the 50's and 60's voted it the best.

20170710_173953 (800x450)

The late 50's were actually often kind of garish - Cadillac and the '58 Lincoln premier being the most outrageous -  but the Continental Mark II was the best of the later decade, IMHO.

Image result for 56 continental mark 2

What, I have no 1950's cars with giant tail fins??  In my mind, the best of the big tail fin cars was, without a doubt, the '57 or '58 Adventurer.

The Adventurer was an unsung hero among the big cars of the 1950s. The 1958 DeSoto Adventure is shown here.1957 DESOTO ADVENTURER CONVERTIBLE - Side Profile - 187813

Had to pick up a Lister at Kennedy airport for a friend, used his station wagon and single axle open trailer. Most fun I've ever had towing a car, looking in the rearview mirror with it three feet away from the back window. I must be one heck of a driver I won the race home. Bob 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.013d0bbcdec6a3c9c08ab188ef90ff3d.jpg

Thanks guys for your choices..However, I meant American production cars.. No one-offs no customs, no foreign. Please try to keep it to what you could buy from an American car dealer in the era.

My goal was to track what we want to own or admire in the scope of normal American made production cars..Thanks

OK,  1950's iconic american car favorite for style an beauty.

Fords:   all 1957 Fairlane 500s  including the Skyliner and Ranchero.

Chevy:   1957 Bel-Air, 1959 Impala and most early Corvettes.

Cadillac: 1953 &1959 Eldorados

Plymouth:  1957, 1959 Furys

Studebaker:  1950, 1953, 1958 Golden Hawk. 1959 Lark VIII

Buick:  1953 Skylark

Pontiac:   1957 & 1958 Bonnevilles.

Oldsmobile:   1950 & 1957

3 hours ago, StylishOne said:

Thanks guys for your choices..However, I meant American production cars.. No one-offs no customs, no foreign. Please try to keep it to what you could buy from an American car dealer in the era.

My goal was to track what we want to own or admire in the scope of normal American made production cars..Thanks

Most bloated or most fins, nothing I'd really want to own today, sorry. Bob 

I would not have picked a 1955-56 DeSoto to be on my list, but after looking at this '56 for a few months and driving it all summer, I have to say I think it's one of the most successful designs of the '50s. Big, impressive, but not bloated. If a 2-ton car can look "sporty" this is it. The colors certainly help, but I think this design perfectly balances big car luxury with an athletic look. I just couldn't stop looking at this car.

001.thumb.JPG.b9ab1fc13b84a255343431df9ac6a77d.JPG 002.thumb.JPG.01e369334509162dcde35fc81f37551b.JPG 005.thumb.JPG.bf8d119f6e70fd8782e8b02925e7e0c0.JPG 008.thumb.JPG.ecaceb4d2255d7edcf20499cd0e3e9fb.JPG

• Like 6

Funny how our tastes change as we mature, and find other elements to admire, or fall out of favor with.  Yet some styles endure through our lives, and speak to us always.

For me here are a few that hold the test of time..

53 Skylark the proportions don't get weird with time, has a bold eagerness that says sporty.  

Oddly I like most cars from 1956. Especially: Imperial , Lincoln, Buick n Caddy, it's a hard to choose.

For me hands down in 59 I love a Buick Cpe or flat top. Those clean space age lines get me,  while 58 Sevilles are a childhood car I like very much, but the wildness of a 58 Lincoln Convert still amazes me to this day!

I am seeing a few cars that have broad appeal, others more personal.

I have bought and sold many cars.

I don't have any remorse other than those thoughts that we all have much after a sale.

You know, in reminiscing. "Geez I should have kept that one,  or if I would have kept that one it would be worth a lot more now. That kind of stuff.

But one that I had to let go haunts me.

The 56 Imperial.

I am getting close to a long term plan coming to a reality.

Buy the land next to my place and build my last home.

After many years I have finally been able to buy the place next door.

I am going to raze the old house that is falling apart and do away with the long line of renters living near me.

If all goes well we break ground mid December.

Therefore I have thinned down a bit to help make all this happen.

I am happy to know that the Imperial went to someone that is going to cherish it as I did.

IM002158.JPG

IM002159.JPG

IM002166.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Curti said:

Which American-made production cars are your favs for most handsome designs (exterior only) for this era..???

The OP indicated 'American made'. What is it about this,  some of you guys don't understand ?

He EDITED the OP and ADDED "American-Made" because he didn't like European cars, that is my guess. Bob 

14 hours ago, StylishOne said:

The OP ADDED This as well after the early posts didn't match his EDITED question.  Enjoy your fat fined cars. Bob 

Early 50's: 1954 Olds Starfire 98 and 1954 Buick Roadmaster hardtop. are two full styling cycles ahead of Chevrolet and Pontiac. Note the Olds has two styling features that Chevy won't get until 1956 and Pontiac until 57 which is "sweep cut"  front and REAR fender cutouts, and a "A" pillar swept past 90 degrees that Chevy and Pontiac won't get until 1958. 

Image result for 1954 Oldsmobile starfire 98 images

Mid 50's : 1955 Olds 98 hardtop and 1955 Buick Roadmaster.

Image result for 1955 Oldsmobile starfire 98 images

Late 50's: 1957 Cadillac Coupe de Ville, Best 57 GM looking car and one styling cycle ahead of Chevrolet and Pontiac as it's roof's "A" pillar and "C" pillar won't appear on a Chevrolet or Pontiac until 1958.

The 1957 Coupe de Ville has " Sweep Cut"  fender styling. Sweep Cut Fender styling is a FEATURE and not to be used with a fender skirt ( according to G.M.'s Art and Color department) . Cadillac was so adamant about not using skirts on 57-58 Cadillac ( except 60S ) that they installed "Wheel  Lip Molding as shown below to prevent it! 

Image result for 1957 cadillac coupe de Ville images

Late 50's: BEST looking / driving G.M. car 1959 Pontiac Catalina. First" Wide Track", First year of the 389" engine, First Pontiac with the "Split Grill" styling.  First car to average over 150mph at Daytona-168-170mph on the back stretch , First "A" Production Stock Car to break the 13 second barrier and run over 100mph at the 1/4 mile drag strips. Any doubt it was THE FIRST Motor Trend Car Of The Year.

Image result for 1959 Pontiac Catalina images

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I'd contend that Bill Frick had as much of a "production car" as Briggs Cunningham or Preston Tucker.

As for caddies, my favorite of the '50s was the 57-58 Caddy Eldo Brougham with the suicide doors and dual quads. Always thought of it as a 3/4 size replica of the big GALBs.

BTW the Studillac, Facel Vega, and Brougham were cars I admired as a teenager. Still do.

57brough1.jpeg

ps anyone notice that Caddy has coupes again (well good Deutch cars). Would you believe with 500hp and a 6-speed manual ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Group A I always like the Chevrolet Fleetlines in the early 50's, you don't even notice that the four door cars are four doors, and the style looks great across the board on all  the GM cars of that era

11_1950chevy_fleetline.jpg

Group B, nothing screams over the top 1950's styling then the 1958 Pontiac, I just love the rocket pattern on the side and red reflector simulation the glow of the engines 

1958-Pontiac-Bonneville-Sport-Coupe-68.jpg

Being limited in Group B by 1959, I think that the 59/60 was refined by 1960, but I feel tied with the 58 Pontiac has to be GM 4 door flat-tops, so I have a tie

IMG_4169.jpg

Edited by John348 (see edit history)