1949 Chrysler stalling

KMJ

Could need a tuneup. Could be worn out engine. Could be idle speed. Could be governor points need cleaning. Could be a lot of things. I would start with compression test and tuneup if they have not been done in a while, otherwise clean the governor points. Be careful, they are soft silver. Spray with contact cleaner and drag a strip of white typing paper between them to clean. If they leave a dirty streak on the paper do it again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, c49er said:

How long have you owned the car? Did the car use to down shift OK before?

Is the transmission wiring all original and in good condition?

Does the engine idle really smooth in nuetral?

i had the car for 6 years , it was grandfathers, always stored inside and in incredible condition.                                                                               Only 29,000 m. Yes it did downshift fine, idles really smooth in nuetral, original wiring in                                                                                       great condition. I take great care of it, all work done by me. this is the first issue to come up.                                                                               Always dependable, never has let us down.

Go to mymopar.com and search  for factory training films. The one I mentioned volume 4-1 shows the 1949 chrysler transmission diagnosis..

All the factory service films for your car are there.

... there are 3 filmsalone  on the M-6 trans and show downshifting issues and idle.

As already mentioned  you should check the transmission governor points for oil saturation... carefully clean them with electric contact  cleaner....

If it only dies when you feel it downshift automatically coming to a sto................ yet you can leave it in gear idling smoothly say in the driveway.....

Then it's probably a transmission circuit issue that's groundingthe ignition points too long on down shift.

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

On 11/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, c49er said:

Go to mymopar.com and search  for factory training films. The one I mentioned volume 4-1 shows the 1949 chrysler transmission diagnosis..

All the factory service films for your car are there.

... there are 3 filmsalone  on the M-6 trans and show downshifting issues and idle.

As already mentioned  you should check the transmission governor points for oil saturation... carefully clean them with electric contact  cleaner....

If it only dies when you feel it downshift automatically coming to a sto................ yet you can leave it in gear idling smoothly say in the driveway.....

Then it's probably a transmission circuit issue that's groundingthe ignition points too long on down shift.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:37 PM, c49er said:

How long have you owned the car? Did the car use to down shift OK before?

Is the transmission wiring all original and in good condition?

Does the engine idle really smooth in nuetral?

Thank  you so much, the service videos were great, I wish we could go back to 1949 .                                                                                                   I think I have it narrowed down to the interrupter switch.                                                                                                                                                 Thanks again for your the tip.

• Like 1

I bought over 200 of those Dealer Ross Roy filmstrips/records and tech booklets back in the early 70's and used to watch/listen to all of them including the car and truck sales films.

They taught me everything about the 1948-52 MoPar cars which I still have today and I still have all these filmstrips and records.🙄

But now that they are on the internet it only takes a few moments to find one online to look at!

Mr tech sure is smart! He's the man.👍