1938 O'drive C/L Wisconsin Dells $222

I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit. If you get to dealing with the man, try to get the original overdrive cable if possible. It's one of those things that rodders throw away. You could easily substitute something else for it, but original is nice. As far as I know, the only thing you would have to do is install it and the cable, plus shorten your drive shaft accordingly. I paid four hundred for one last year and counted my self lucky. With such a low price to begin with, you can afford to pay the man to help in the shipping process. Maybe he could get it to a Greyhound Bus depot in Madison...

Thank you for that valuable comment.

I'm not in the habit of buying used parts and shipping them halfway across the country without first determining if they will fit my car.

Perhaps I don't have your level of expertise.

When I was parting a 37 Desoto a few years back the guy that came and got the tranny was putting it in a like year Plymouth if I am remembering correctly.

A direct fit I couldn't say, but he didn't want the bell housing. But he did take the driveline.

As for shipping, if it were strapped to a pallet your best bet would be Fastenal.

Greg, you might keep in mind, when you do find one, that an overdrive will increase the value of your car a great deal. I know that you aren't necessarily thinking abut selling your coupe now, but it's a thought to keep in mind when evaluating the expense of buying an overdrive when one comes along. I think that most guys would agree with that.

On 11/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, GregLaR said:

I wonder if this would fit my 1938 Plymouth coupe?

The Hollander 1952 doesn't indicate it will interchange. There are no dodges given, such as changing bell housing or drive shaft.

Another Automotive Interchangeability document dated 1942 does not indicated it will interchange either.

Proceed with caution!

This looks like a centrifugal OD. Does it have a kickdown? I can't see a solenoid so I doubt it. I had something similar in my Studebaker and it was OK but difficult to get back into normal drive - i.e. you slow down below 20 mph and it will drop out when you lift off the loud pedal.

I suppose if you get it for a good price including shipping it might be worth a punt, but for my money I would look for a 1939 onwards with the kickdown or 1942 or so on with the governor as well.

Thanks for the red flag Spinneyhill. This is exactly the reason I asked (apparently like a rookie) if it would fit my car. At a quick visual it does look similar, but I'd hate to go to the trouble of landing it here and then finding out it won't work/fit properly.

Appreciate you checking that interchange.

Greg

4 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Unfortunately, a '39 or later overdrive trans is a side shift model.

Do any of them still have a removable top? They could perhaps have a gear lever reinstated in them? Some Studebaker gearboxes were like that; they just covered off the hole in the top and attached the shifting levers to the side. But then Studebaker gearboxes were on their side so the floor could be lowered.

Greg and Spinney, I also listed a '39 Overdrive trans for sale here in Minnesota. I'll include a link to the Craigslist ad here:

https://marshall.craigslist.org/pts/d/1939-chrysler-royal-motor-and/6720894420.html

There is one photo that includes a view of the top of the transmission, but I can't quite see clearly enough to make a determination. I know that others are using the earlier style overdrive. I'm sure that they would be glad to discuss the matter. If you don't mind, Greg, I'm going to post an inquiry on the more heavily trafficked general Chrysler forum.