headlight motors

tony1970

HEADLIGHT MOTORS how do I a just the the headlight motor tension ? I went to go put my headlights today  they not go until I loosened the wheel the on the motor then they worked fine any feed back would be great both motors were rebuild 2 years ago thanks tony.

Is this just happening on one headlight motor or both? To my knowledge there is no tension adjustment on the headlights. You could try lubricating the pivot points. The knob on the end of the motor actually turns the gearbox to open the headlight doors manually.

10 minutes ago, tony1970 said:

Hi Ronnie thanks for your feedback it happens to both headlights. I did lube the pivot points with motor oil .as I am this I went out to check the lights and they work fine.i am thinking maybe it is the switch.what say you?

Is it cold where the car is located?  It is possible that the nylon gear was lubed with heavy grease.  Or they may not have been lubed at all.

What model is your Reatta?  It would be really helpful if you would add the model to your signature line. HOW TO EDIT YOUR SIGNATURE LINE

If you have an '88 or '89 model, push the button on the center console to open the doors and see if the motors run.

Also, raise the hood when it's dark outside and see if the headlights come on when the doors won't open.

Let is know what you find.  It might help in diagnosing your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ronnie been away for a while but I am back ,I have had time to check out the headlights car has been sitting for a while here in florida at 85 degrees in the garage I tried to turn on the headlights but did not go up ,but the lights were on ,loosended the motor knob and they went up I have ruled out the switch ,was say you thanks tony,

I may be confused by what you are saying or just do not understand.

(a) when you said "loosended the motor knob and they went up" ....by turning the knob on the end of the motor (the only adjustment you can do with the headlights assembled) you are turning the motor shaft.

when that knob turns one way the headlights go UP when you turn it the other way they go DOWN.

When everything is good,  you should not need to touch that knob.   I appears the motor is sticking ......maybe not the motor itself but I would guess the bellcrank/arm which you said looks good.

The problem I have,  if you can turn the knob and it works,  why will it not work when power is applied?

You could isolate the problem by.........disconnect the motor and apply power directly to the motor. 

If it goes up and down without assist, then the problem is either the headlight control module or the headlight switch.

When I first read your post,  I thought you were loosening the end play screw (that is the plug on the end opposite the black plastic knob)  it has a hex nut that locks it in place,

with the nut loose you can screw the plug in or out to adjust the motor end play,  

If I need to adjust that, I screw it in with light pressure until it stops, then back off 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut.  It will probably work when the plug is backed off a full turn but that allows the

motor shaft to shift more than necessary.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Thanks Barney for your feedback, I started the car up today and lights went up and worked fine ,although I loosed the headlight motor knob last night because lights did not go up but they were on, sometimes only the drivers side will go up and the other side will not .I hit the headlight switch again and they worked fine. I think it could be the headlight switch or something binding on the crank arm. What say you.thanks  tony.

There is the possibility that one of the motor commutator segments is dead.   If the brush stops on the dead segment, the motor will not run until you turn it past the segment ....ie turn the knob.

The attached photo shows where the winding is attached to the segment....the wire is crimped in the copper, sometimes you can crimp it more or solder it and the segment will then have continuity.

To test for a dead segment, with either a multimeter or test light,  put one probe on a segment, the other probe on the segment next to it and you should have a connection......work your way around the commutator until you

have tested all segments.

DSCN1319.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ronnie,Thanks for asking about the headlights I have been very busy in the last couple of weeks. So far all I have done was swap out the headlight switch . It seems to be working fine so far,but I still think there is a dead spot in the motor.After the holidays I will take both motors a part and look in to it further . I will be taking the car out tomorrow for a 50 mile trip . Have a good holiday ,thanks Tony.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, hope all had a good holiday.Getting back to the headlight problem.They are working fine.Just one thing with the the headlights on the ac controller,radio and console lights are not on ,only when I put the fog light switch on they work.My question is Is this normal? Also everything works fine just with the parking lights on I do not have to turn on fog light switch.I need some help to figure this out.Thanks Tony.1990 reatta conv.

A few years back we had some people on this discussion that swore that you could get all sorts of "special" things done to your Reatta at the Craft Centre.

I do not think that having the parking lights on to operate the ac, radio and console light was one of the special things you could get done when new.

I suspect you have a defective headlight switch that is causing the problem.

1990 Reatta headlight switch was a one year/Reatta only item because the fog light switch was built into the headlight switch assembly.   1991 the fog light switch was moved to the front of the console and

The headlight switch had Twilight Sentinel at the bottom .     If you can find a Riviera at a junk yard, get the headlight sw.  (a standard Riviera did not have Twilight others did)   You can plug the Riviera sw in and see if that solves the problem.

Jim Finn rebuilds headlight switches.....otherwise you will find very expensive 1990 switches available.