Help recommend a car for a 17 year old?

Johnnya101

Hello folks,

As the title says, I'm a 17 year old. I've been interested in antiques for many years, and over the past couple have started to get into cars. I built a 1927 T speedster over the past winter as a learning experience, and am now (or soon will be) ready to upgrade.

I do have an actual daily driver. But I am looking for something to drive a lot during the warmer months (New England). I'd like something that has plenty of parts or support for (especially easy to find sized tires and stuff like that) I do not mind things like no radio, no power anything, low max speed, stuff like that. I would want something that can be found for around $6000 and below, that can be found in general good or driver condition, nothing showroom, but nothing with rust holes and mice eaten interior either. Really don't want to go broke finding parts and buying the thing pretty much.

I love model As, but will never find one that doesn't need an interior and new paint job at my budget.

I love styles of all years. I've been seeing stuff like a falcon of a valiant that matches my criteria, but I'd love something that's more 50s style (or even earlier).

Do any of you have any recommendations for someone like me?

Thank you for any help provided, I greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Johnnya101 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Something to drive a lot. Something looking 50s. Something that will not break the bank. Something with parts availability.

60 to 64 Corvair 4 door. 

1. Cheap both to buy and parts to keep running (as opposed to 100 point restoration).

2. Parts available, both new - Clark's Corvair Parts is right there in Shelburn Falls, MA. and used, as many club members have parted out rusty ones in that area.

3. Roof line of 4 door 60 to 64 is like roof lines of late 50s GM big cars.

4. They love to be driven regularly. Keeps up with modern traffic. Never had, because it doesn't need it, power brakes or steering.  Many still in use as daily drivers where it does not salt so much.

Now others will chime in with their favorites!?

I own a Model A and you can't find another car with the amount of parts available. As to what Frank suggests, I saw a beautiful Corvair sell for $8000 on one of the TV auctions. If I was at the auction, I would have bid on it, it was that nice. That car would have been a great driver/show car, you can't get any sort of collectable for $8K.

Johnny, I would say that a decent (#3 condition)

1950's 4-door sedan can be found for your $6000

price.  Asking prices, especially by for-profit

classic car dealers, may be double a car's 

worth, but some patient looking will give you

some possibilities.

A few years ago there was a circa-1954 Oldsmobile

sedan for sale on our forum for right around your

price.

I think a 1946 - 1954 Chevrolet would be a good summer ride.  They are relatively inexpensive (I know of a 2 door '47 for sale here in Paisley, Florida for $4,000), easy to work on and parts are readily available.  Although I'm partial to Chevys, don't over look Fords of the same era. 

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers,

Grog

Well I've always kinda wanted a Studillac (first restomod ) but were a lot of interesting cars in the '50s (D-500 Desoto) mostly from Chrysler. Another I've always liked was the first gen Valliant with the slant six (and there was a 4bbl available).

Just some thoughts.

I wish I had your know how when I was your age(I’m 24). And my mom being cool with owning a classic car or two.

I know two guys around your age by me who daily drive a 67 mustang and a 72 bug. I’d recommend the former, Since you seem to be a Ford guy. More specifically the 65-66 mustang. They made over  a million of them they have a good following and availablity of parts. The 6 cylinders are pretty cheap and reliable, my dad drove his weekly until he sold it. And they look the same as something with an 8 in it. Not exactly the 50s look but it’s still a nice car. And almost everyone knows what it is.

• Like 1

It's really great that you have an interest in old cars! I hope you can maintain your interest and enthusiasm in the years to come. 

It is easy to become demoralized when seeing the asking prices of a lot of the cars from the very early 1970's or before. Very high. I was out of the market for about a dozen years, so I was  surprised to see what running vehicles from pre-1973 were going for when I started looking online again several months ago. In fact, a lot of people are very proud of non-running rusty hulks. Of course, these folks rarely sell these vehicles at the price they're asking, but they keep asking the high prices anyway.

I don't own show cars, only drivers, and I don't have the resources or equipment for total restorations, so I look for affordable cars, as well. I finally picked up a classic car worth owning at an affordable price, but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. Lots of patience required...and a wild goose chase or two. (Don't hesitate to back out of any deal that doesn't feel right...I mean where the seller wants you to trust him a little more than you should...or refuses to be upfront about some obvious things.)

As far as I can tell from what I see online, the best values in old cars from desirable eras are often found with economy cars. Some folks mentioned Corvairs, and they really do seem to be regularly priced in the affordable range. Reliably good values. If you want something with an "older" look to it than a Corvair, then a VW Beetle is the other great value in vintage collector cars.

If you want something with a more conventional 1950's American vibe, however, I've found that low end Mopars from the early 1950's or late 1940's are still a pretty decent value. I'm talking Dodge and Plymouth. They can look pretty cool, but still be lower priced. This is because they kind of fit into the category of "economy" car, as well. They're usually powered by lower powered flathead sixes, so they definitely aren't highway cruisers, but should be able to keep up with most in town traffic situations. The 1950 Plymouth P-19 I had about 10 years ago always caught people's eye because it had a fastback body shape...sort of reminiscent of GM's ultra cool "sedanette" body style of the same era. The Plymouth was a lot less money though. Good luck!

Don't forget AMC.  I have even seen early 60's ragtops for 5 to 6 G.  This one has an asking price of 4500 OBO.

Here is this 61.  Doesn't look too bad other than the seats and a fuel issue.  AMC NOS parts for this era are pretty cheap and I believe all mechanical parts are still available from regular parts stores.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-amc-rambler-classic-sedan/6744396669.html

00000_jCH318QiiKf_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

This seems like a really good deal and by 1954 should have the 235, full pressure lubricated, engine. (I think)

Those 6's are nearly bullet proof.......even the earlier ones with splash lubed rods if you don't drive like a maniac.

They are dead simple to work on too.

• Like 1

I agree with cahartely This is the one I'd pursue. I've owned a lot of these Chevy's and with some regular maintenance they run forever giving good gas mileage. It has/had a 235 from the factory with a full pressure oiling system. This one stock should run about 135HP which is more than enough to push this car down the highway. You may be able to talk cash and get it for less the the asking price leaving you some leaving you something in the bank for ??? Just my coppers worth. Good Luck in your search. 

• Like 2

I share the view of the group that instead of looking for a particular car, do Craigslist searches for the year range and price range you want.  Just see what pops up, and then ask whether the parts are sufficiently available.  Given that you're flexible on year and model, better to see what is out there than start looking for particular cars.

I'll also add that the the 1941 Packard in Altoona NY listed above is a great deal.  The car looks right from the photos, and pre-war Packards are (in my opinion, see my name) very special cars.  It will be harder to get parts for that Packard than some other cars, though.  They made a lot of 110s, and there are folks like Kanter and Max Merritt that sell parts for them, but it's much harder and costlier to get parts for that kind of car.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

I don't believe mechanical parts are all that crazy expensive for that series Packard and with the Internet,  usually just a couple of days away.   The Bright tid bits are what are harder to find and more expensive,  but they all look to be present and in good condition. 

I know every car I have ever bought always seem to cost more than my budget but I was always happy in the end,  that I stepped up and bought them as they were far superior. 

There is nothing cheaper, simpler or more bullet proof than a 47-51 dodge or Plymouth. The 3 window coupes are even borderline cool.  This is where I was heading for my son before the reality of New England winters pushed me to a Tacoma 4x4 with a stick.  Did the same for the next kid.  I really wanted to go vintage. Sigh...

• Like 1

You're getting a lot of good advice here.  Agree re MoPaRs ca. 1950.

Re Jeepsters (1948-51, but '51s are retitled 50s):  I have had at least one at a time for almost 40 years.  They are great fun and look and drive as if they were earlier than they are.  Overdrive transmission was optional rather than standard equipment beginning in '50; make sure any car you consider has it, or you'll run out of string at 45 mph.  Also, mechanical parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, but body and trim parts are neither.  Pleated seat covers to restore appearance of the seats are available inexpensively, as are ready-to-install top kits.  CHECK THE FLOORS AND SILLS, especially on the passenger side, from both under the carpet and under the car. 

I think next time I get interested in some specific car I am going to leak that info to Auburnseeker.

Speaking about Jeepsters (which I wasn't really looking for).

I have it running and driving but am having problems figuring out the overdrive.

I think I have a bad relay. More on that if a future thread.

2018-08-21 48 Jeepster 005.JPG

2018-08-21 48 Jeepster 006.JPG

I'd recommend '46-'54 Packard: durable, reliable powertrains, even the Ultramatic equipped cars when maintained and driven reasonably,  Parts and service advice plus club support readily available, among the best for orphan makes.

Here is a '47 Clipper Deluxe current offered in Connecticut for $4,500:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/1947-packard-clipper-sedan/6734491195.html

Those of us in the Packard world will welcome you!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Find something local that catches your eye.  Dont limit your search or you might waste a lot of time and miss something good.  Of course don’t buy an obscure English or Italian car just because it looks nice, but any run of the mill American car will be fun and affordable to keep going.

Amused me ‘’ don’t buy an obscure etc 

if I could find a obscure English or Italian for his budget in a similar condition to some the beutiful Americans recommended above  , I would grab it , obscure  English or Italian usually means big bucks. I must add it’s only a tongue in cheek dig ?

I agree with you my American is more reliable and cheaper to fix , but fun driving a classic from either side of the pond.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)